Yet another random restart post ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black_Zeus90

Baseband Member
Well, I've been reading these forums for a veryyy long time trying to pin point which solution applies to my problem regarding the random shut downs. Here is what I did, and still continue to have a problem:

1. Ran Memtest86+ first, no errors, good since I have lots of ram
2. Reformatted twice.
3. Double checked cable was 80wire, Triple checked with even buying another 80wire IDE cable.
4. New thermal grease, and heat sink.
5. I used to get the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error all the time before I reformatted my HDD, and now I have yet to see it.

Then, here and there I get the shut down. I just disabled the automatic shut down so I can copy down the error code when/if it decides to grace me with its presence again...

Here is what I know so far:
INFO:
AMD AthlonXP 2900+
400FSB , Abit KV7-V Motherboard
Thermal Take Extreme Volcano 12 HeatSink/Fan
PSU- 500w (generic but slightly new, works great though)

Windows XP Professional, no service packs installed "yet/if I decide to"

GeForce FX5700LE Optima 128DDR AGP 8/4X
ATI Radeon 9200 Pro 128 DDR AGP 8/4X
Creative Audigy2 ZS Platinum Sound Blaster
Dual HDD's, Western Digital 7200 RPM 180GB (Master)
Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 160GB (Slave)

CD-Burner, Floppy, etc...

I have all the drivers for everything installed and working fine. I disabled on board audio

And this is the error codes I have in the Computer Management > Event Viewer > System list...

errorpic.jpg

I'm not new when it comes to computer systems, but the technology is constantly advancing so I try to stay up with it. This motherboard and processor combo are new to the system, although I installed a fresh copy of windows onto the HDD and it seems to be running fine until that error.

It cannot be a virus or spyware due to the many times I have reformated already...

I'm guessing that it is coming down to either the hard drive is dying, even though its only about 5-6 months old or the power supply is dying, about equal age.

Any wise words or tips for this problem will be greatly appreciated... Thank you for your advice in advance!:cool:

Heres the error on the blue screen I just received:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Techincal Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000054, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x804E9E0C)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact system admin, blah blah....

I had my digital camera on hand so I was able to snap a pic and then type the error code down. Maybe this will help solve the problem >.< Thx everyone in advance for your input and knowledge!

Another update:

I once again checked through the list in device manager for which devices were not installed properly, disabled, etc...

The only ones are the on-board sound, which is currently disabled, and the USB. Abit-usa website does not have any USB stand alone drivers for my motherboard (KVT-7) so I'm currently updating windows to Service Pack-1 in hopes that the built in USB2.0 drivers will work. I'll post back with any news

Black_Zeus90 said:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Techincal Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000054, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x804E9E0C)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact system admin, blah blah....

I have seen this error before, forgot exactly what the end result was, I think it ending up being a bad power supply that was underpowering devices, and causing the HDD to shut down during use, and blue screen would ensue....

First do this: Download and burn to CD Hitatchi's Drive Fitness Test (also known as DFT) from the following website:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Run this tool before windows to test your HDD to see if its defective. Make sure you run both the quick test and then the advanced test. If your HDD is failing mechanically and causing problems in the system it will most likely show up here.

Secondly, go to your local OEM computer store and buy a cheapo $20 power supply. Replace the power supply with the current one and unplug all but the critical drives and devices. See how the system behaves after this.

If you take both of these two steps and still having problems let me know. I will come up with some more ideas.

Hmm, ok I scanned both hard drives, nothing is wrong with them.
I also reinstalled all/most of the components with newest drivers.

I still receive the error in the log saying disk, atapi, disk disk disk disk, etc... and when my machine crashes I now get a ( 0x8E ) error, which from what I've read is common. I'm gonna work on trying to figure out what the heck is wrong, lol

Thanks for all your help and any more advice anyone can offer up!

Did fresh install twice. First time just plain XP Pro, second time with SP1, still getting errors.

I still get the Errors in the System Error Log, but the computer no longer crashes... well at least so far it hasn't and its been a few hours!

Problem: Thermal Grease supplied by motherboard company when it was shipped was gone in spots on top of the CPU.... I cleaned it off, applied some Silver Thermal Compound and vwalla~..... runs normal now.... so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom