Reinstall with Compaq QuickRestore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiscoJP

Baseband Member
Ok, so I reinstalled last night using the Compaq QuickRestore CD that came with the machine (my computer was barely usable last night). For some reason, it seems to have just installed a bare-bones Wndows XP, instead of loading it with all the Compaq bundled software. This is fine, and not a big issue, but on the first few boots, the mouse/clicking was acting funny. Clicking on the Start button would hang for a long time, or double-clicking an icon on the desktop would yield no result. Eventually, it opened things. I rebooted, and then it seemed to work fine. I noticed on startup that there was a box called SysPrep that I'd never seen before, something about reseal, audit, and doing these things after I tested/installed the software. Does anyone know why I'm having these little isues?

kinda of odd it did not load all that compaq garbage. they love loading computers up with that.

when you put the install cd in did it give you some advance options to format your drive 1st and install xp?

it might have just install xp over your old xp.

ZeroX said:
kinda of odd it did not load all that compaq garbage. they love loading computers up with that.

when you put the install cd in did it give you some advance options to format your drive 1st and install xp?

it might have just install xp over your old xp.

Well, the QuickRestore CD automatically deletes (formats) everything on the hard drive before reinstalling Windows. It gives 3 or 4 different warning screens letting the user know that all files will be deleted.

Sounds like you might have a preped Sysprep image and not a functional release.
Syspred is a tool used by OEM's to make their custom installed versions of Windows and software. It's a deployment tool that I'm fairly familiar with.
Might I suggest that you contact Copaq ASAP and let them know.
I'm sure they will hook you up pretty quick.
Just curious, but how old is that system?

Inaris said:
Sounds like you might have a preped Sysprep image and not a functional release.
Syspred is a tool used by OEM's to make their custom installed versions of Windows and software. It's a deployment tool that I'm fairly familiar with.
Might I suggest that you contact Copaq ASAP and let them know.
I'm sure they will hook you up pretty quick.
Just curious, but how old is that system?

I bought the system about 4 years ago. It came loaded with XP. About 2 years ago, the original HD crashed, so I bought a new one. The new one was 80GB as opposed to the original 40. When I tried loading Windows back onto it (Compaq gives the QuickRestore & Recovery CDs, not WinXP), I had trouble. Last time, they needed to walk me through the process, because they said the disks were not configured to work on a bigger drive. But with their assistance, I was able to do it just fine. Haven't had a problem until a few days ago. Called Compaq last night while I reinstalled just so they'd be on the line in case of trouble, and there were no problems until it booted up, and gave me the SysPrep and none of the pre-bundled Compaq software. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom