$500 PC Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-unit

Baseband Member
Hi guys/gals,

I'm new to the forum and could use a little help. A buddy of mine has a 3 year old laptop that has recently been giving him more trouble than it's worth so he's decided to get a new pc. We're both in college and he's recently married so he doesn't have a whole lot of money to spend on a new comp. I told him that whatever he was will to spend would go farther if he was willing to build it himself and of course I offered my assistance (finding parts and building it, not paying for it). Anyways, neither one of us has actually built a comp but we think we can do it as long as we pay attention and return here with questions should we get stuck. What I came here to ask for, though, was suggestions for parts. I'm willing to do all the price hunting and such, I'm not asking you folks to do the work for me. :) It's just that my buddy is limited to a budget of about USD$500. He's not a gamer (he doesn't play many games, and if he did he'll probably never play anything other than what you can get free off the net) he's a college student. He needs something that'll be reliable and stable but doesn't take all day to boot. I think that he'll be using mostly for excel, powerpoint, word, web surfing, and music (he does like music). He's got a 30GB HD now and it's maybe 2/3's full so I can't imagine that the he would need more than 40-60GB of storage. I was just hopin to get some suggestions from you guys. I really don't know the price/performance edge of all the different brands out there so any help is greatly appriciated, even tips for putting it all together.

Thanks in advance,
-G

Oh yeah. I forgot to metion 2 things. He doesn't need a monitor or keyboard/mouse, and while he may be limited to a $500 budget now he would like a setup that would give him the ability to upgrade later.

Thanks again, sorry for the long post before.

hmmmmmm. im too lazy to hunt for processors. also i have no idea what good prices are with intel cuz i prefer amd. BUT you could wait until hard drives go on sale at best buy or compusa or other stores like that. happens EVERY week. also your primary buying source should be newegg if you live in the usa. (judging by the way you worded your sentances you do) but also check zipzoomfly they are also good.

hey use the extra money to buy some mcdonalds RIGHT before you build. actually eat the food during the build. the food crumbs help the air flow and will keep the computer quiet. also never handle the cpu by the flat top of it. pick it up with needlenose pliers from the little gold pins.

jk dont do ANY of the things i just said. these actually will help though:wash your hands, touch the psu before you start to ground yourself, do NOT force the cpu into the slot, it slides right in, and dont touch the pins. good luck and have fun.

if you have any problems post em here and we will be happy to help

Wow, thanks for the help. Ropponmatsu that setup you posted seems pretty reasonable and just what my friend needs. It sure beats the hell outta his dinky laptop. PoisonPorkchop, I noticed that most everyone here likes www.newegg.com, I'm guessin then that they have the best prices usually? Do they usually do sales or specials or are they the like everyday low price kind of site? Are there any other sites I should be aware of? What about Jae's site? Has anyone else ever bought anything from there? I'm not puttin it down but are used parts really a good idea for your comp? All suggestions are welcome and greatly appriciated. I'm gonna call my friend after he gets outta class.

Thanks

btw, PoisonPorkchop you're right I am in the US constantly going between Memphis, TN and Mississippi State University.
GO BULLDOGS!!

amd athlon 64 3000+ socket 939 $140
abit ax8 via chipset $112
80gig sata hdd $62
nvidia fx5700 $75
case and power supply $80
ram 512mb $50

total cost about $510

I have the P4P800 se motherboard that Ropponmatsu suggested, just bought it on the weekend... it runs great!

Hey guys what about this cpu:

Intel Celeron 2.0 GHz 400MHz FSB, 128K Cache - Retail

I realize that it's a Celeron and that is doesn't have the same cache or FSB speed but is that a real big issue? I don't think my buddy will ever oc his cpu and by going with this processor I can save him about $60 which he's gonna need to buy XP. My real question is are there any issues or flaws with this processor that I should be aware of? You guys have been a great help and unless I find some great deals on something similar to the stuff Ropponmatsu has posted, or my buddy decides otherwise, that will be the system we'll go with. But all views, opinions, and help is welcome. It'll probably be about a month or so before we order anything.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom