Build me a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ki9090

In Runtime
I have almost convinced my dad to let my buddy make us a PC (dont worry he is good at it) Now we have about 1500-2000USD to work with if you could split it up in to 1500 dollar PC and 2000 Dollar pc it would be appreciated (not sure which one we will be getting) I am trying to compare it to a PC my dad saw from dell with 1 gig of ddr2 Sdram (dual Channel) a 3.6ghz Intel Pnetioum 4 using a 925ex express Chipset and 256Mb Nvidia Geforce 6800. That comp cost 1500 so if you can build a better PC gaming machine than that it would be appreciated.

P.S to me that dell comp looked friggin mast with its Proccesor running at 1000mhz bus speed and the DDR2 ram, but people said it was not good and said you cant overclock dells (does it make much of a diffrence?)

this is the dell: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/pro...c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=hardwaretab#tabtop

Why don't u search the forum first man? This is probably one of the most asked questions. Try 1500 and 2000 in your search criteria. After you look at it, post back with what you think and we'll suggest modifications.

Plus, are u a gamer?

Sorry, yeah its a gaming PC. And if any one can tell me reasons why that dell comp is no good it would help in me convincing my dad (and please no dell sucks as a reason cause hes gonna need some technical evidence)

dell's case is small
dell uses ALL generic stuff (generic=no brand)
dell has no video card, which means no games (most of their comps)
dell's build quality is crap
dell's customer satisfaction rating is 45% (below an F)
dell's main objective is money, not their customer (their customer service is outsourced to india with ppl that don't know crap and can't speak english)

lots more but i can't think right now

Well.. Dell computers, much like these assembled computers are typically wayy over priced. Anyone will build you the best super duper computer if you give them enough money. It'll just cost you a fortune. For the price you typically pay, the video card and sound they give is crap. Usually on board. And I haven't seen any Dell computers with AMD processors.

As for their "parts" who cares. As long as the work: IF that's what you only care about. Overclocking will be a no no with them tho. If you take the memory for example, they probably use the same semiconductor companies as Kingston or OCZ or Corsair. They'll "work". But you won't be able to play around with them.

Can't vouch for their cooling/cases/fans.

As for their customer support - well isn't all customer support the same??. I see this as a no issue. Whether it's cheap labour from India (that Indian tech companies themselves wouldn't hire :) ) or some nutjob in a basement in Iowa, the tech support is usually crap. But if u build ur own computer you'll be able to play with it without voiding the warranty. If you want to do that, why would you pay a premium to Dell when u are not even going to use their service?.. etc. etc. etc.

And yeah, if you void their warranty, you prolly dont' have a warranty on the individual parts...

And I haven't seen any Dell computers with AMD processors.

Nor will you. Dell has announced that it won't be using AMD CPUs for next good while. Intel offers them too many "incentives" to stay strictly with them.

Dell observes the rule of: How little can I do and get by with it. Cheap RAM. Cheap motherboards. Celeron CPUs. PSUs that are bare minimum for what came in the box, with no overhead for expansion. Proprietory parts that have to be replaced by Dell parts, which are extremely overpriced.

Forget calling their customer support. One in five calls gets a native English speaker, if you're lucky. And with a Dell, you will definately have to speak with someone as their comps don't stand up like they used to.

Chankama is dead on about warranties as well. If you open it up, you void the warranty. Which means you have to use Dell's channels, which may or may not get it done within a reasonable timeframe. Which may or may not fix the problem the first, second, or third time.

Besides, if you want someone else to build it with decent parts, look elsewhere online. Try www.cyberpowerpc.com or www.ibuypower.com for starters. Here's a system I slapped together at CyberpowerPC:
Gamer Ultra 9000 Pro [Athlon64/64 FX] (NO MONITOR)
# *BASE_PRICE: [+979]
# CAS: TURBO X-DREAMER CASE 350 WATT W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display [-10] (BLACK COLOR [+0])
# CASUPGRADE: NONE
# CPU: (939-pin) AMD™ ATHLON™64 3500+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology ~ CAI405 [+136]
# CD: 16X DVD ROM (BLACK COLOR [+0])
# CDRW: (Special Price) LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR [+0])
# CABLE: Round Cable Upgrade for Hard Drive, Optical Drive & Floppy Drive [+19]
# FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 6in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR [+0])
# FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS [+9]
# FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE (BLACK COLOR [+0])
# HDD: Seagate 80GB 7200RPM Serial ATA 150 8MB Cache [-45]
# HDD2: Seagate 80GB 7200RPM Serial ATA 150 8MB Cache [+63]
# HALFLIFE2: Free "Half-Life 2 Bronze" Download Coupon [+0]
# IEEE_CARD: NONE
# KEYBOARD: Microsoft® Wireless Desktop w/ Wireless Internet Keyboard & Mouse [+42]
# MOUSE: PS2 INTERNET MOUSE W/ WHEEL (BLACK COLOR [+0])
# MSGAME1: NONE
# MSGAME2: NONE
# MSGAME3: NONE
# MODEM: PCI 56K V.92 FAX MODEM W/ VOICE
# MP3PLAYER: NONE
# MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-LAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&7.1Audio [+102]
# MEMORY: 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (GEIL VALUE RAM)
# MONITOR: NONE
# NAPSTER: Free Napster Download Coupon [+0]
# NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
# OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2
# PRINTER: None
# PRINTER_CABLE: None
# POWERSUPPLY: [$30 Mail-In-Rebate NOW !!!] ULTRA X-Connect 500W ATX PS w/2 80mm Fans - Black SKU: ULT31554 [+79]
# RAID: RAID-0 (DATA STRIPPING) [+0]
# RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
# SCANNER: NONE
# SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT [-16]
# SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
# SPEAKERS: (BLACK)"NEW" Creative Labs SBS 560 5.1 Surround Subwoofer Speaker System
# SOFT1: Microsoft® Works 7.0
# SOFT2: NONE
# TEMP: NONE (AS SHOWN)
# UPS: None
# USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports
# USB_PENDRIVE: NONE
# VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
# VIDEO: NVIDIA Geforce 6600 GT 128MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD-- Powered by Leadtek
# VIDEO2: NVIDIA Geforce 6600 GT 128MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD-- Powered by Leadtek [+200]
# WIRELESSPOINT: NONE
# WIRELESSCARD: NONE
# ZIP: NONE
# _PRICE: (+1558)
That's without shipping, of course. But this rig would run circles around that POS Dell any day of the week.

amd athlon 64 3500+ $260
DFI lanparty ultra nf4 $150
Geil ocz 1 gig dual channel ram $200
zalman 7000cu w/120mm fan $50
200gig sata 7200rpm $160
eVGA 6800ultra $435
lian li case $150
extra fans and round cables $50
Antec neopower 450w psu
total cost $1500 plus shipping

damn i want this system

this system is not even comparable to the dell you posted and this will play any game at max res no lag and will dominate at anything
nothing can compare to it. well in its price range

That looks very good for its price aspire, but it may be wise not to skimp out on the power supply. You may end up finding yourself having to replace all of your other ridiculousness. It would be worth the extra bucks for a good PSU, such as the OCZ Powerstream that I am getting. It's priced around $150. If you're running an ultra, it would definitely be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom