One Terabyte hard drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah maybe in 100 years! i can't see buying a game thats a terrabyte for a lonnng time.

and about 8 years ago i think, we had a 2.5gb Packard Bell.

and then?
who cares, you aren't going to use up a terabyte muchless beyond that lol./

I'd take a terbyte drive. Look how big games are getting these days, 5gb+ easily....an they'll keep growing. Just wait until it's like 20gb for Doom5 in 10 years haha

I've come to notice that games aren't only 4.5 gigs (UT2004 is 4.5gb after installing it). Modern games don't just come with what's on the CD/DVD. People have been making ridiculously massive mods. My total UT2004 folder is around 11GB, which is insane for a single game at this time. As Nubius said, you probably wont even end up using up a terabyte if your a gamer. Analyze the purpose of your computer, then maybe a 1TB hard drive is worth it.

i have Diablo 2, but i have so many "hack" and mod programs and patchs for it that the folder went from like 3gb with the expansion pack installed to 50gb... but that includes the massive character files after they have been enhanced....

beedubaya said:
I don't see the need for Terabytes on home computers at this time, except for bandwidth hogs that download anime all day long *cough* YourPrinter *cough* Its mostly just for bragging rights IMO.
Well let's see...
If you've done any of the following:

1. Serious graphics work
2. Game mapping
3. Game modeling
4. Video editing
5. Website development
6. Illustration
and more

Or just anything where it's good to have an archive of stuff at your hands...a terabyte of storage space comes in real handy and can go really fast.

Not to mention that the size of programs is going up, and your music archive is getting bigger, and all your applications are still there, so you've already got a sizeable overhead for a normal drive.

But still a normal person cant buy a 1tb drive or anything that close unless its a bunch of smaller HDD's in a big box.... hell cant even buy 500gb till possibly the 2nd quarter of this year...

I remember when my parents bought their Packard Bell 75MHz with a 1.2GB hard drive. The salesman in the store said that nobody would ever use 1.2GB in their lifetime lol. I remember my old 386SX 8MHz having only 40MB of hard drive space. Oh how times change.

beedubaya said:
I remember when my parents bought their Packard Bell 75MHz with a 1.2GB hard drive. The salesman in the store said that nobody would ever use 1.2GB in their lifetime lol. I remember my old 386SX 8MHz having only 40MB of hard drive space. Oh how times change.
Heh, I remember using computers that didn't even have hard-drives. All you need in life is power, and a stack of 5.25's. Or a cassette tape.

Anyway, a 1 terabyte drive, just a single drive, is fine, and the usage is there...I'm just wondering about the performance. I mean, if you have a RAID stack of drives like the current terabyte towers, they're fast 'cause they can access individually if you want. A single drive, even at 10krpm, would be slow.

It will be plenty fast, and I can easily see a terabyte being needed.Right now Ive got 750 cdr's and 175 dvd's sitting here,plus 75 movies on one drive, plus a HD full of music, plus another drive just with my usual daily stuff on it I use all the time.Right now you run into issues with having a bunch of drives unless you run multiple systems, which is what Ive had to do.Going the SCSI route to eliminate the 4 drive only problem with IDE gets expensive real fast, its cheaper just to use bigger drives, and it keeps getting cheaper and cheaper.Using a PC as a multimedia entertainment center its quite easy to rack up lots of gigs of movies and music pretty quickly.Encoding a TV show on the fly into mpeg's means 2 gigs/hr, it adds up fast.

Eh, for movies...I use DVDs. That's what they're for.

As for the rest, there's a lot of things I do where the result might be a 50kb outcome product, but it took 200megabytes to make...which I keep that clutter because I may need to go back and do editing again, which means I gotta have the parts, which means I gotta keep the 200mb, which makes archive get big... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom