chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcsavageboy

In Runtime
im looking at motherboards to start building a pc. ill be using a pentium 4. not sure what ghz yet but probably above 3 ghz. when the mobo says chipsets, what does that mean. i thought if you bought a p4 mobo and put in a p4 it would work. am i wrong?

Yes you are right, but depending on which socket type for the P4, you will have to choose between the different chipsets.

I know that you want a P4, but if you plan to do any gaming, you should consider AMD.

Then again, seeing as you are an RC Monster Truck driver, you may plan to be doing video editing, if you DO plan to intense editing, then you should go with a P4.

If you plan to do a little editing, and mostly gaming, go with an AMD anyhow.

If you are going to spend less on a setup, then socket 478, and a 875 Chipset mobo.

If you are planning to spend more, go with a Socket LGA 775, and a 915 or higher chipset.

Yan

*Edit - Check my sig in a minute!!

ok i plan on doing half gaming and half just average stuff like surfing the web downloading ect. i like intel more than amd. mostly because im more farmiliar with them. but is a chipset something built into the motherboard?

btw i will be getting a socket 478

OK, this mobo is a little more expensive than the other stuff, but if you can find the 478 version, it is 100% worth the cash.

DFI 875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "LANPARTY PRO875B"

This is the refurbished, OEM, barebone model, which you DON'T want, but Newegg doesn't have the 478 version any longer, just that board with a 775 socket.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-136-129R&depa=0

I know that you be used to Intel, but AMD is really the best choice, you should really think about it, because you will not regret it.

The chipset version is what the mobo is based off of, the socket type, the RAM, video card, etc. etc. interfaces depend on the chipset.

How do you like the sig?

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom