big-ed

Solid State Member
just joined and hope i'm posting in the right part of the forum
if not, please let me know:)
anyway i just inslalled a new ati video card and put in some ram
i have a asusA7N8X VER2.0 DELUX motherboard
when i rebooted my cd and dvd drive were gone:(
went to device manager and checked the drive properties and got this message
"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"
no luck with troubleshooting or trying to reconnect/reinstall the devices:(
can anyone suggest how to fix this?:)

It may be possible when you upgraded the computer that you unplugged the IDE cable from the board. It is odd that both of these devices do not work, becuase they are most likely on the same cable. Double check that, if not i have heard of alot of people having issues with that particular board. You may want to seach or look on the manufac. faq. I would look at the simple stuff first.

thankyou for the reply:)
i have checked ide cables and they seam ok
slave and master jumpers ok and corrospond to cmos settings
i will try the man faq as you suggested :)

try the devices individually, see if one works and one don't. also, since you have been inside the machine, if you have an extra IDE cable try a new cable.

First thing to check is see if they are coming up in your bios. Upon boot, press the "del" key while the memory test is running. The first screen you see in the bios should tell you what drives are connected.

If they arn't showing up there then you need to double check your install of them. If they are there, then it's an OS issue.

**WARNING** ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE MAKING CHANGES. IF YOU DON"T YOU WILL BE SORRY***

Strangley enough I think I know the fix for this.
I had a problem with Easy CD creator loosing drives in Win2k a year back. The problem was due to a Key being created in the HKLM\system\controlset001\control\classes\...(what ever the guid is for your devises)
The key was upper Limits and lower limits.
If you delete the values of the two keys, the problem is gone and the drives work. I have no idea why this is, but when I found it, I about died from excitement... Seems to work for this problem even without ECC being present.
Might want to give it a try...

**WARNING** ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE MAKING CHANGES. IF YOU DON"T YOU WILL BE SORRY***

thanks for the advice:) i was going to reinstall windows xp but i seemed to have killed my motherboard:eek: (psu is working but no post- tried replacing each of components with ones from a working pc including cpu,memory and video card. no luck.
its my own fault for trying to mess around with the bios without having the first clue what i was doing :( , well excuse me while i jump off of that bridge:rolleyes:

Inaris

I had the problem you talked about just last week. Easy CD Creator and Nero can cause it. Mine was with a Lowerkeys value only and deleting the value solved my problem.

What I read was either product can cause the problem by entering these values on top of the Microsoft drivers entries.
It can present itself as a code 41 or in my case a code 19 corrupted registry entry.

I believe you made a good call.

took my hard drive, cd and dvd and put it in another mobo
and same problem code 41, so i tried a windows repair with no luck and went for a format and reinstall of xp and the disk drives working fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom