Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might not have a drive letter set for the drive. WinXP will do that sometimes. It will see the drive, but not assiogn the letter to it so that explorer doesn't see it. Trying looking in the Disk managment tool under Manage, or in an MMC. Check to see if the drive has a letter assigned to it...

**RANT**
Oh and NEVER EVER use the Maxtor tools with your hardware. The only cool thing they offer is a tool to realign the head if the drive stops working. All of the other crap is worthless and can cause more damage then it's worth...
My 2 cents
**/RANT**

well I have some new news and new problems for my hd

Inaris was right ..I went to classic view under computer managment and then chose storage then disk managment (local) and clicked on my hd and found out it was unallocated. So I gave it a partition and drive letter but didn't format it. I now find it under my explorer and system but when I click on it it wants to format it...

This drive was formated when I got it originally but not when I reformated main hd and had to reinstall windows xp. I saved my important files on it from my main hd. So now that I found it and made it possible to be accessed how do I access it without windows trying to format it. (its almost like it cant tell its a used drive and wants to format it like a new drive)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would also agree that the maxtor software does more harm then good and is not needed. they trick people into thinking you need the software to run it. (I feel that is wrong) !!!!

I don't use the Maxtor software either. I just let the Bios see it. I've found out along this bumpy road that sometimes it's just easier to let Windows do what it wants to do.:mad:

Bad news for you. Due to the fact that windows saw the drive as unallocated, you have nothing on the drive now... or if you did, it's gone now... IF a drive reports as unalocated space, then it's not even formated for windows at least...
Good luck to you...

You feel wrong, Just like I do about "Gator" changing names!

yup for some reason it thought nothing was on it. This is so frustrating. Guess I learned that you cant even trust a backup hard-drive to keep data on when you reformat. Next time Ill have to back it up some other way. NEVER again is this going to happen to me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom