How hot should GPU run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_source

Daemon Poster
So i finally OC'd my 6600gt. I used Coolbits and i cannot believe how simple it was to OC. I actually noticed that my default was 300/1000, which is lower than it should be, i guess thats why my 3dMark scores were coming back so low. I was able to get it to 580/1.16 successfully. I noticed that my GPU temp hit 55+ degrees. I was wondering, how hot is too hot and what should i avoid? I wont be leaving my settings that hot, i will probably return to stock values (500/1000) when not playing games so that my temps revolve around 40-44C.

Any ideas?

If it starts melting, smoking, boiling, burning, smelling, popping, crackling, cracking, jumping, shifting, flopping, burping, wheezing, hacking, or goes into 60's retro colors...it's too hot.

Otherwise it's fine.

It is to hot when you see artifacts on your monitor

well im not sure if it because its to hot just means that you have OC'ed it to far.

What are artifacts? Sometimes in the middle of a game some textures just turn into flashing or flickering green polygons. Are those artifacts?

It can vary from blacklines jumping up and down your screen to little dots, to colours which are not suppose to be there

Ya me too, i n the middle of testing my 3Dmark scores sometimes i see flashing and flickering green polygons. Does that mean my settings are too high and i need to lower them? When i test settings, those settings are fine. (580/1.16)

And back to the main question, whats a good temp setting to have and whats too high?

I betya your memory is a bit too high and that's why your getting artifacts

A 6600GT core can do 80 degrees without a problem, the newer cores are rated up to 143 degres? and the old are 127.

Your temps are normal

Sport1031 said:
What are artifacts?
Artifacts are the bits and peices left over after your GPU goes through its own little resonance cascade. Look for little specks of black gunk, dead bodies, and possibly a host of confused, poorly-rendered multiplayer figure models wandering around aimlessly across your case floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom