Service Pack 2 problem plz help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ugodzero

Beta member
Two days ago I decided install Service Pack 2 using Windows Automatic Update (I don't have the disc).

I upgraded from Windows XP SP1 to Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600). But the problem is that whenever I boot up my PC, I get this error message on my desktop: "Can not run Unicode version of ATL.DLL in Windows 95. Please install the correct version". My operating system is Microsoft Windows XP not 95.

After that no icons would load up and I'm stuck staring at a blank desktop unless I load up Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del), then go to File > New Task (Run) > C:\WINNT\ServicePackFile\i386\explorer.exe to boot up explorer.exe manually.

I have to do this every time I restart or boot my PC. It's driving me nuts! Please help!

Hmmm, I've heard of Sp2 installs causing issues, but this one is new to me.

Anywho, as a temp fix, you could load explorer.exe into your startup.

Run regedit, and add exporer.exe to HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Run

Hmmm, I've heard of Sp2 installs causing issues, but this one is new to me.

WHAT!!!!!!!!! SP2 has caused lots of problems with mine and other people I know PC's. It does have increased security crap. Still, it blows, BLOWS BIG TIME.

i would do a clean install of xp then install sp2.

it seems to work alot better that way.

Hey.... I fixed the problem.... I noticed that some of my applications would not function unless I set the compatibility to Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5)....

So, what I did was go into WINNT > System 32 and set the compatibility for the explorer.exe icon to Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5). I did the same for the other explorer.exe files in WINDOWS > System 32 and WINNT > Service Pack Files > i386.

Now I'm not getting any errors at all and it boots right up! Cheers! XD

desiboi said:
WHAT!!!!!!!!! SP2 has caused lots of problems with mine and other people I know PC's. It does have increased security crap. Still, it blows, BLOWS BIG TIME.
QUICK! desiboi needs help! Someone get the tongs! We'll pull him from the bandwagon he's got sucked onto, and then we'll give him a bath to clean off all the bullshyt! Hurry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom