Rebooting Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

esteban1125

Solid State Member
I've been having some problems with my computer rebooting when running some games. When it plays a video, the monitor shuts off and I can still hear the sound. Then the sounds cuts out and the system reboots. The specs of my system is:

Abit AV8 939 Socket MOBO
xfx 128mb nvidia geforce 6600gt video card
1gb corsair ram
80gb sata hard drive
my power supply is 430 watts

I know that sometimes it can be caused by not enough power being supplied but I figured 430 watts power supply was enough. How would I check if its going over?

Thanks for the help.

problem

Nope, its not overclocked. I've also been reading up on the specific games. For Chronicles of Rid****, Escape from Butcher Bay. They have told people to update the monitor driver. However I can't find a driver for my lcd monitor. Its just a plug n play. There's no driver on the installation disk or the website. Anything else I can try or am i just screwed.

Make sure your virus/adware/spyware scanner is up to date, and that you have been using them.

Also, check your temps to make sure that you are not overheating. Another thing that will cause random reboots is faulty ram. Maybe try pulling one stick of ram out, and then swapping them.

Is your GPU running too hot? Many video cards will shutdown the computer if they are overheating. Add a 90mm or 2, or better yet at 180mm if you have the slot for one.

I run idle at about 35 to 37 C. I don't believe it to be overheating. I have three fans. 2 120s and a 90 I believe. I'm starting to think its more the game rather than my system. It runs Doom 3 at high quality without trouble.

Well, I just found out that it just took longer to reboot with Doom 3. So it looks like its something with my hardware. Should I try getting a larger PSU? or something else?

is it a psu of a reputable brand such as antec, thermaltake, ocz, etc etc.. or is it just a generic one which came with your case ??

Its a thermaltake. I tried that program to calculate the minimum power supply. It said that the minimum power supply should be 297 Watts. Could it be my video card overheating? I have three fans going. I have an ABIT AV8 and the guru utility says that my sys temp is 29C, CPU temp is 35C and the last one is 36. I can read off the voltage on the utility also. Its all when idle though. I've been able to play further when turning down sound acceleration along with the resolution and quality so thats why I was thinking it might be an overheating problem. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom