My first ALIENWARE. Overkill? Maybe. Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's powering a large monitor at high resolutions. I think the RADEON x850 is a very good choice.

Also for the hard drives you have the wrong idea. There are two types or RAID. RAID 1 is what you are talking about, where one drive "mirrors" the other and so if you have 2 74 gb drives you would only have 74 gb of storage. The other RAID is RAID 0 in which the two drives "share" the workload and so you actually have the full amount of storage of both drives PLUS all your loading times and file transfer times will be SIGNIFICANTLY faster because the hard drives are sharing the work!
Alienware DOES offer a RAID 0 setup with two 74gb 10,000 rpm raptors in RAID 0!! THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD GET!!!
This would be INCREDIBLY fast plus you will have 2X74 = 148 GB of total storage!!!
I hope you understand what I mean, I honestly think this is your best bet. With all of the rest of you system being so fast you might as well have some really fast hard drives!

And you can always add in a large 7200rpm hard drive like 300gb or whatever later for storage!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

SCSI have the same spindle speed and you are able to get them at 15,000rpm, same rate of cache as the 10K SATAs, and they have HALF the access time.

SCSIs are awesome if you can afford them, and they work great in RAID.

Well, do whatever you want to do with your money, if it's a TAX write-off then go crazy. Buy a freakin' Alienware ALX system with SLI technology and get the FX-55, Liquid COoling... the whole nine yards. Spend 6,000 grand. Have fun explaining to the IRS why you need a 6,000 or even a 3,000 dollar PC for your business.

Here's the deal. You don't need 16MB Burst Cache, You don't need a SCSI stack, you don't need a HIGHEND video card, You don't need an FX-55 CPU!!!

But, like i said, "It's your money." What you wanna buy for a business PC is just too over the top." It's like me going out and buying this car to deliver pizza's in! http://www.mbusa.com/brand/models/SLR.jsp

Hey what does it freakin matter for HD's? the whole damn thing is gonna be fast as it is so it really dosent matter. It snot liek hes gonna be so freakin picky like us. Give the gy a break man, he only wants a fast computer that will do what he wants and obviously Alienware has cought his eye. IF he wants to get the Cool fast top of the line vidoe card then fine, if he wants 2 300gig HD's then w/e! If he wants an AMD over an intel or intel over AMD then w/e. the guy was merely asking what we thought of it, not to tell him what else to get and to have a stupid arguement over HD's. The thing is fast, it dosent really need to be much faster.

I'm not even gonna bother reading through all these pages.....

EVERYONE BEING NICE HERE!?!?!

:p

I hope so

No we've all been bad, bad, boys and girls (?)
Ban us all! We deserve it!
:D :D :D:D :D :D :D

(woo 350 posts for me! Send me money!)

That's it alec, I don't like your 350 post attitude....YOU'RE OUTTA HERE! :p

If grand was anything more than a slang term, lol.

No but PP the hard drives will make a big difference. If he get's a fast RAID setup his computer will be a lot faster compared to one large slow drive. With the rest of his system so fast the hard drives would be the bottleneck basically, so you want the faster stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom