My first ALIENWARE. Overkill? Maybe. Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MacDawg, I greatly appreciate your offer, but
as to Gateway...NO THANKS! No offense, but all
I hear is horror stories about those computers
from anyone I know that owns them. Besides,
would rather stay away from DELL, HP, IBM and
any of those computers that use parts that you
can't readily upgrade.

Guys, you have been great!

I 'm not sure I am really going way too overboard.

First, I want a 256mb video card because I am driving
a huge flat panel and I use Photoshop. I figured the extra
memory would be a huge help. I picked the RADEON
because it is recommended for the higher resolutions
of the flat panel I chose.

I want the AUDIGY PLATINUM sound card because it
has the optical inputs in the front bay allowing me to
connect my music device. I already own an EXTIGY
external, so not sure how much better AUDIGY is.

2GB ram is a must. I have almost a dozen programs
in my startup. I am constantly multi-tasking, using
spreadsheets and Photoshop. Would like to do all
that while burning a DVD. I also like to run high-mem
programs like WindowBlinds, Desktop X, Cursor XP, etc.

I am the kind of guy that likes to jazz up my Windows.

Appreciate the advice on the RAID setup. I may do
that, but 74GB x 2 limits me to...well...74GB if the other
drive is only there to mirror the first. I already own
an external MAXTOR ONE TOUCH drive to do my
ocassional backups.

Question.....

Adding 2GB of ram to this system. Will it allow me to
push more startup programs or does Windows XP max
out the memory it allows it to use for these programs to
the point where even adding 4GB of memory won't matter?

Gonna go with the ALIENWARE, Intel (since you guys
say it is better for multitasking and does 64-bit). I will
tone it down a little bit, but I need to know where. I
know many of you think ALIENWARE is overpriced but
what other company can I rely on making a quality
computer with reliable Customer Support to back it up?
Thus far I haven't seen any suggestions that beat
ALIENWARE.

Thanks again

The latest config for just at $3,000 shipped
(includes a Targus fingerprint password authenticator)......

[1] Area-51® 5550

Warranty: 3-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support with Onsite Service Bundle with AlienAutopsy and Respawn
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with Service Pack 2
Chassis: Alienware® Full-Tower Case (480-Watt PS) - Space Black
Cable Management: Alienware® Cable Management System
Power Supply: Alienware® 480 Watt Power Supply
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 660 w/ HT Technology 3.6GHz 2MB Cache
Motherboard: Alienware® PCI Express Motherboard with Intel® 925XE Chipset 1066/800MHz FSB
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz - 2 x 1024MB
Graphics Processor: ATI RADEON™ X850 XT PCI Express 256MB DDR3 w/ Dual Digital and TV Out
Chassis Upgrades: AlienIce™ 2.0 Video Cooling System - Astral Blue
System Drive: High Performance - Serial ATA - 120GB Serial ATA 7,200 RPM w/8MB Cache
Optical Drive One: Lite-On® 16x DVD / 52x32x52x CD-RW Drive
Optical Drive Two: NEC® ND-3520 16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive
Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive - Black
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS Platinum Pro High Definition 7.1 Surround with Dual Firewire (IEEE® 1394)
Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Gigabit Ethernet
Portable Storage : Alienware® 10-in-1 Digital Media Reader / Writer
Display One: No Monitor
Display Two: No Monitor
Biometrics: Targus DEFCON Authenticator™
Free Alienware T-Shirt: Free Alienware® T-Shirt - Black
Free Alienware Mousepad: Free Alienware® Mousepad
AlienInspection: AlienInspection - Exclusive Integration and Inspection - $99.99 Value - FREE!

If you guys know another reputable company
with outstanding Customer Support that can match
this configuration for less, by all means please recommend.

Once again, I greatly appreciate your help and
patience in making sure I make the right choices here.

I think he's basically decided on Alienware.

You just have to promise us, that you do not get the big retarded molded plastic case, and rather get the nice cleaner workstation one, as long as it's possible.

Other than that, it sounds pretty good.

Another thing!!!!!

When it comes to hard drives, you can sacrifice the smallest bit of performance from the 74GB Raptor, and get a drive with a 16MB cache. When you have a larger cache like this, it boosts the performance signifigantly. On the plus side, you dont sacrifice any drive size. Here's what I'm talking about:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-140-154&depa=0
I'm sure Alienware has an option of one of these, or at least something similar?

I dont know, just look it up. It's only a hair slower than the 10k drives. Literally.

NJRonbo, careful you don't step in all the bullshyt in here. There's a lot of mindless drones spouting crap at you.

1. If you don't want to build your computer, and you want a computer that will run great with great features and great service, Alienware is one of your best bets. There are a couple of top-end computer manufacturers out there, and they are pricey for a reason. Mainly, because you get a good product, with great support, and very personal care, verses the cookie-cutter monotany of mainstream manufacturers like DELL or Gateway.

2. If you aren't using this for gaming, that x850 is, as some have said already, overkill. Though it's probably not costing you much in that config, if it's not a standard selection by Alienware, ditch it for their lowest-price card they offer. Yer not going to need much graphics power.

3. If you don't know enough about computers to build your own, steer-clear of suggestions for sites or mom-n-pop shops that have you placing an order for your own selection of stuff.

4. If you're using this for work, chances are you don't want something with a small warranty, cookie-cutter tech support, and servicing done in India. So buy from a well-known computer company. The last thing you want is to be having a problem, and get stuck with a non-24/7 tech helpline, that boots you to some moron in a 3rd-world country, or worse yet, some dumb slob in a basement.

5. Don't get sucked into the SCSI argument. First off, it's just crap. SCSI ain't "totally blitzing SATA and IDE." Not to mention that SCSI is more expensive, and a 250gb SCSI drive is gonna cost you an arm-n-leg. SATA's are plenty fast, extremely reliable and easy to use, and they are the future. All IDE drives are going to be replaced by SATA eventually. SATA drives are almost exactly the same price as IDE drives, and with SATA-II on the way, why invest in a dinosaur?

6. There are two kinds of PC-builders on this forum. The mindless drones who just randomly repeat "Ew, Alienware, overpriced!" And the intelligent ones who say "Sure, you can build that computer for half as much, but we understand you don't want to." Pick your lot. Listen to who you will.

With this forum (and most others) you got to be careful not to get sucked into the idiotic bandwagon-bashing that goes around. Anytime a thread contains the words (Alienware, Microsoft, SCSI, ATI, NVIDIA, etc) you get this whole stream of morons posting the same unenlightened bullshyt over and over again. (I suggest a can of RAID and a road flare.)

Anyway, my advice is that if you like that Alienware machine, and you can afford it and want the safe buy it will offer you, go for it. I wouldn't recommend the graphics card, unless they're offering it standard. If so, it's cheaper just to keep it because it's a package deal.

Enjoy. If you need any further help or have further questions, just post or PM. That's what we're here for.

ShoobieRat said:

Don't get sucked into the SCSI argument. First off, it's just crap. SCSI ain't "totally blitzing SATA and IDE." Not to mention that SCSI is more expensive, and a 250gb SCSI drive is gonna cost you an arm-n-leg. SATA's are plenty fast, extremely reliable and easy to use, and they are the future. All IDE drives are going to be replaced by SATA eventually. SATA drives are almost exactly the same price as IDE drives, and with SATA-II on the way, why invest in a dinosaur?

Another person ^^^^^^ who does not understand a SCSI HD's full capabilities.
It wont cost you an arm or a leg either. If somebody has upwards of $3K to spend on a computer I think they can pay $400 for a SCSI setup. A WD raptor raid setup will cost you the same price.

OUCH!!!!

Damn Shoobie, but I whole-heartedly agree with you.

NJRonbo, Shoobie has pretty much put it straight for you and
I dont think the minor overkill now will be an issue in a year or
two.

And from one business man to another, the time and (Im sure)
confusion you suffer going back and forth with this is costing
a little something if not in the pocketbook definately on your nerves
so, get your Alienware with your Pentium 64 chip with your X850
card and your extended warranty and have a good time.

Now I dont have any idea how much more energy you have left
for this but as long as you are happy with the system you are
getting(seems like a great one)and the price is fair then go for it,
but the "FAIR PRICE" is the only part I would like confirmation on
as a business man so.............

Because Alienware is known for overpricing, I would have them spec
the complete system out piece by piece which will let them know
you might be price shopping. If the price is fair and they are confident
that it cant be beat then you are good to go. If you want confirmation
on the prices listed for your components then post it here or fly it by
shoobie. BUT ONLY DO THIS IF YOU CARE TO KNOW otherwise

Have A Good Time & Go Make Some Money!!!!!!!

Eh SCSI is quite a bit faster, but still overkill for him, SATA or even IDE will do.

About the Maxtor hard drive, it may be fast, but Maxtor are terribly unreliable and nothing is worse than data loss.

Since you sound like you makes lots of $$$, it's probolly cheaper to just go alienware and forget about shopping around for a few hours to save a few hundreed.

You know, when everyone sees a thread like this, with a pretty high $$ cap, it is natural for everyone to suggest all the "cool" stuff they've heard of :). Nothing wrong with that. After all, this is a help forum where people give "free" advice. They are entitled to have some fun also.

As I've said before, your components really depend on the apps you are running. If you are doing heavy 3D modelling, even if you don't game on this, getting a great video card is a good thing. For heavy calculations a good CPU is a must, and if you are like me, need a shit load of RAM also.

If you load a lot of stuff off your disk, e.g. signal processing apps, a good HDD system is a must also. There is a reason why some people DO spend a shit load of $$ on hard drives like 15K drives (server, signal processing types). For them, performance is critical - much more important than money. And they are not "stupid" as indicated by some people. Trust me on that :)..

For your purposes, it seems overkill mind you - b/c you are not in a research environment or a critical server environment. A computer really depends on the apps you are running. For you as I've said before, a 7200rpm should be good enough. You can go with 10K if you have some more money to spare. It will only become useful if you hit your harddrive a lot. Since you have a lot of RAM, you have to think how often that will happen.

You seem to be happy with your system, so that's great :). Good luck!

uzi9mm said:
Another person ^^^^^^ who does not understand a SCSI HD's full capabilities.
It wont cost you an arm or a leg either. If somebody has upwards of $3K to spend on a computer I think they can pay $400 for a SCSI setup. A WD raptor raid setup will cost you the same price.
I understand plenty about SCSI drives.

I understand that they're overpriced.

I understand that for a technology that USED to be the defacto standard for stability, SCSI is now no more stable than any other drive.

I understand that SCSI is being replaced by SATA as the standard for server and desktop drives.

I understand that while SCSI has a faster transmission speed, that speed is directly keyed to the ability of the system to perform at that speed.

I understand that most people don't find wasting their money a good thing.

I understand that SATA doesn't require any seperate controller for RAID other than what's already on the mobo for SATA (or, in a bind, you can even use the IDE channels).

Lastly, I understand that there is no reason on gods green earth why someone who doesn't know how to build a PC (or doesn't want to build one) would want to mess around with SCSI RAID stacks over a simple one or two drive SATA/IDE setup. :mad:

Oh yeah, since this guy wont build his own PC SCSI is not a wise idea, good point.

SATA would be hard enough for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom