My first ALIENWARE. Overkill? Maybe. Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well scsi is actually old, my dad had scsi in his 486 and now its supposed to be all great and crap HA!. and i have no idea why they are bringing back SLI because it sucked then and it sucks now.

gaara said:
Because SCSI drives run noisy and hot? :p

Please dont tell me that your another person who would sacrifice bone crushing speed for a nice quiet and peaceful computer. Just face the facts, SCSI leaves SATA and IDE in the dust.

I'm not denying that SCSI is faster than ATA/SATA mate, but you have to face the fact the SCSI also leaves in the dust when you look at price. 10K RPM RAID 0 array is fine for me and my wallet.

P.P., old is a bit of a silly argument. IDE is old too mate.

I'm currently in a period of prolonged planning of my PC that I'll be building before I go to college. I did some research and I found a site that did a SATA vs. SCSI comparison. For SATA they used a raptor (cant remember if it was in raid-0). Well the raptor was BARELY beaten by the SCSI drive. I think the only place that the SCSI showed a significant advantage was in boot up. I believe they said that this was due to the fact that SCSI has its own onboard processor while SATA relies on the CPU. If the CPU is being used for boot up, SATA obviously gets a little hit.

Based on their benches and other tests they concluded that the HUGE price increase of going SCSI over SATA is definitely not worth it for most people anymore.

NJ,
Please bear in mind that what everyone is essentially saying is that you want to buy a horse,not the whole farm.
Alienware is a fairly respectable company with some exceptional PCs,but they DO tend toward overkill when piling on the extras.
What you should really concentrate on is CPU speed,Hard drive capacity,and amount of RAM.The video card is definitely good,but will do your system no practical good when it comes to startup and application execution.
The alienware that you purchased does sound nice,but I think you wanted a snack and bought the kitchen.
Good luck!

Gateway® 9310XL

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Edition with Service Pack 2

Application Software: Microsoft® Works Suite 2005 - including Microsoft® Word and Encarta

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 660 with HT Technology (3.60GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 cache) ........

Memory: 2GB (2048MB) 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM Dual Channel (4-512MB modules)

Hard Drive: 500GB (2-250GB) 7200RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive w/ 8MB Cache

Optical Drive: 16x Double-Layer Multi-Format DVD±/R±RW/CD-R/RW recorder and 16x DVD-ROM drive

Floppy Drive: 8-in-1 media card reader and floppy drive

Extended Service Plan Including Limited Warranty: Desktop Total Protection Plan -- 3 year parts/labor/on-site/3 year technical support w/ 3 year GPA

Monitors: FPD1950 19" Silver LCD Flat Panel Display (19" viewable)

Speakers: GMAX 2100 2.1 Speakers with Subwoofer ........

AntiVirus Software: Norton AntiVirus 90 day introductory offer

Chipset: Intel® 915G Chipset with DDR2 Support

Case: Gateway 7-Bay Tower Case

Controller: Integrated Ultra ATA Controller

Expansion Slots: (1) PCI-E x16 Expansion Slot, (1) PCI-E x1, (3) PCI in which 2 are available for use

External Ports: (7) USB 2.0 (6 in back and 1 in front in the media card reader), (2) IEEE 1394 Firewire Ports, Parallel, Serial and (2) PS/2

Certification: Energy Star Compliant

Video: ATI Radeon X800 Pro with 256MB DDR video memory, DVI and TV Out

Keyboard and Mouse: Gateway Premium Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

Sound System: SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card

Modem: 56K PCI data/fax modem

Internet Service Provider: Six months America Online® Internet access

Part Number: 1008382

PCI Adapter: Integrated IEEE 1394 (FireWire) PCI Card

Network: Integrated 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet

Price: $3,063.97

I know you said you want to stay away from brands like Gateway, but this P4 is better for your purposes, also this warranty means you have on site service, get overnighted replacement parts if need be, and will be able to get a tech on the phone within 60 seconds guaranteed. BTX case to keep everything nice & cool & improve longevity of the system.

This is the same price plus it has an 19" LCD monitor, plus I could throw in office pro free or discount it a few hundred for you, whatever you want bro. My email is
zennie.mcdonald@gateway.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom