Need help re-installing Win98SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinj45

Beta member
I was having several software conflicts, crashing programs, and was unable to install any software or hardware because of unkown errors. I formatted my c: and planned to reinstall Windows with my master restore disk. However, when I place the disk in the CD-Rom I can hear the CD spin, but it will not start the restore sequence. It just sits with a flashing white cursor and a black screen. After 30 seconds, the cd quits and everything stops.

The computer came from factory with the hard drive partitioned into C: and D:, with D: have system_sav label. I used fdisk to delete both partitions, recreated the C: partition and formatted IT thinking it would then pick up the CD like a new hard drive would. However, this did not work. I tried booting with a Win98SE boot disk into CD-Rom support, but the same black screen appears. Something is holding the restore sequence up, but I have no idea what. Can you help? Thanks.

Yes, it's the CD that originally came with the computer when I bought it. It's actually a two disk set.

sounds like it is a recovery cd set,, now what you have to do is two-fold,,

try this first,, with the machine ON,,, put the first cd into the tray,,, then shutdown, and restart the computer,, with any luck the cdrom will be the first boot option in the pc bios,, considering it came with restore cd's i would say yes,,

once the machine powers up,, the cd rom restore disc that you put in their should be initialized,, then the restore process will begin,,

Consider,, that any files you had will be GONE,, and consider, that any hardware changes that you made after purchase will NOT be recognized by the restore cd's,, they will only recognize what the OEM was,,,

further,, if the cd does not start automatically,, then you will have to make it the first boot device in the BIOS settings,, on power on ,, you usually have to hit DEL key to get into the bios,,

once in their,, look for BOOT order,,and then move CDROM to the FIRST position,, reboot,, see what happens,,

bit of a start for you,,

cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom