My first ALIENWARE. Overkill? Maybe. Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. if you have $$ to burn, going with 10K rpm drives are definitely better. And if you have even "more" $$ to burn, go with 15K rpm drives :). That'll be even more better.. :) It all comes down to purformance vs storage. If you go via the 15K route, you'll spend quite a pretty penny (and I mean a very shiny golden penny). And unless u are running is database server, is probably not justified.

For the same amount of storage as ur 7200rpm drive, if you go via the 10K rpm route, you'll easily spend 3-4 times the amount on the 10K drives.

As I said before, if you can post a list of ur apps, I think ppl can help u better.

I've known ppl who've spent > $3000 on harddrives alone for a single computer. I am sure u don't want to go via that route :)..

Yea those 15k are a tad pricey. $234 for 36gb of storage, ouch.
Do you need a really special motherboard for SCSI RAID? Or would any mobo that supports standarn SATA RAID also support SCSI?
Because I don't see any mobo's on newegg thast say they specifically support SCSI.

dale5605 said:
Yea those 15k are a tad pricey. $234 for 36gb of storage, ouch.
Do you need a really special motherboard for SCSI RAID? Or would any mobo that supports standarn SATA RAID also support SCSI?
Because I don't see any mobo's on newegg thast say they specifically support SCSI.

SCSI is Another connector

You could use a paralell port to SCSI adapter like me, SPEED DEMON. Too bad the paralell port is only like 4 meg :/

Guys i dont think money is a problem and you dont see much of a speed increase between 10000 and 7200 except during start up speeds. And since he IS getting the top of the line CPU from either Intel or AMD its gonna be fast no matter what. the damn computer will have his program up before he even thinks it, it will be spo fast. Dude what you got on that Alienware will last you a damn long time and it will be good enough to run anything AMD or Intel. Both processors are great in the top range so it really dosent matter. BTW w/ AMD over Intel please dont ask again, just make your own choice because it will get a war started. ;) figured i would say.

You might not see a difference in startup times but you will see a huge jump in performance in opening programs and other stuff. My old workstation SCSI HD has a faster random seek time than most high end new computers out today that use IDE and SATA. Imagine what newer SCSI drives can offer.

What do you mean bring back?? SCSI has always has been the fastest HD. Its like saying why are they bringing back SLI, that technology has been around for a while too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom