Video Card Dilemma (need a very high performance card: 6800 gt-sli/ultra? x850 xt?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like said, I am very very new to this computer building era. Can you possibly reword that into dummy terms?
lol honestly I thought that was being dummy terms, I'm a horrible teacher so it isn't going to get much better than that. Especially if you're looking into overclocking you need to familiarize yourself with your board and what it's capable of.

You need to find out if your board is 1600 or 2000HTT speed.

You have a CPU HTT and a Multiplier, all AMD64 CPU HTT's by default are 200, and the multiplier determines how fast the clock speed is. If it's a 2GHz cpu it'd be 200x10

So with that Ram for faster performance you would want to run it at 250x(whatever) to create your final clock speed which depends of course on whether or not you wanted to OC your CPU or not. Higher HTT without lowering the multi would of course result in a higher clock speed. 250x10 = 2.5GHz

Except for AMD64 FX's the multipliers can only be lowered on the AMD64s, but like I said there's another multiplier, the HTT Link speed multiplier that gives that 2000 or 1600HTT of your board overall speed, if it's a 2000bus board then it's 5x, if it's a 1600bus board the link speed is 4x.

If you raise your CPU HTT beyond 200 you'd have to lower that HTT Link speed multiplier so you don't OC your board overall bus which they don't like doing at all

Guess an AMD64 overclocking guide really needs to be written here and stickied since Kangaroos mainly applies to intels and socket A systems the suggestions kind of apply but could still be confusing...buuuut yeah I'm lazy :p

The beauty of the 6800GT is that it's cheap now, and you can add a second one later. If ATI's next gen cards (or nvidia's) cards blow it outta the water you can just get one. 6800GT is also great for a single card solution, hell a 6600GT does me fine :)

And about the FPS thing now, we can tell the difference between 40 and 65 even though we cannot see above 30 or something, it's weird I know.

And the "Kick it up a notch BAM" thing makes you remind me of another person who said that alot :/

And the "Kick it up a notch BAM" thing makes you remind me of another person who said that alot :/
lol ya think? I did it on purpose but I figured most were smart enough that I didn't have to put (Copyright Emeral Lagassi) next to it.

we can tell the difference between 40 and 65 even though we cannot see above 30 or something, it's weird I know.
That makes no sense lol, basically a contradictory statement. 45-65 is smooth and clear, people just THINK they have this extra sensory ability to notice it like they are 'Uber nerds' or something. That's part of a reason doom3 is capped at 60FPS....between 40 or 45-60 FPS it's smooth movement.

After all normal movies and animation is only 24FPS

That's why I vsync it at 60. They actually say that if you use vsync like that it will reduce the strain on your eyes or something.

Nice link gaara, clearly the x850 xt is VERY overclockable which I knew it was. It pretty much just owns.

Do you think an OCed x850 XT could beat out an SLI solution? ATI does have that reputation for raw power in their cards. It's definitely possible to OC the XT to a PE, but think it can go beyond that?

I think NTSC is 30fps while PAL is 25fps. Somehow I at least "think" I can see a difference in 40fps to 60fps, but could that perhaps be due to my slow-response LCD monitor? It also varies from game to game. I noticed in games like Counter-Strike on WON, pumping up the FPS a significant amount made a visual difference. Needless to say, whether you see the difference or not, loading 60 frames per second or more is a waste of resources and power.

I have also heard that your monitor cannot throw 100fps or more on the screen, but I would assume that it varies from monitor to monitor. In the end, you could just be wasting power by running those high framerates. That is why I really don't understand why some game benchmarks are all 100fps or above. If the GPUs are producing framerates above 75 or something, then maybe that game shouldn't even be tested. If one card brings 105 average framerate while another gets you 115 average framerate, there isn't much sense in putting those results there. Then again, that could make a difference when you throw on antialiasing and filtering.

Vsync caps the framerate to match your refresh rate, correct? So since I'm running my LCD through DVI, and the refresh rate is locked at 60hz, then the framerate will never exceed 60fps in games?

By the way, I have been trying to overclock my 5700LE. I have been able to get 75MHz core and 80MHz memory which I guess seems like garbage. How much does a typical 6800GT get without any sort of special cooling? How can I go about getting more speeds off of my 5700LE without any sort of special cooling? Is it possible to set the clock frequencies too high to have any immediate effect but it is actually secrectly destroying the card? Or do" too high frequencies" show an immediate effect?

Nubius said:
lol ya think? I did it on purpose but I figured most were smart enough that I didn't have to put (Copyright Emeral Lagassi) next to it.

That makes no sense lol, basically a contradictory statement. 45-65 is smooth and clear, people just THINK they have this extra sensory ability to notice it like they are 'Uber nerds' or something. That's part of a reason doom3 is capped at 60FPS....between 40 or 45-60 FPS it's smooth movement.

After all normal movies and animation is only 24FPS

Naah the person you remind me of now since that BAM is a DJ \ Gamer on another forum.

60FPS is the maximum any human can see. I will do another test with FPS_MAX between 40 and 65.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom