My first ALIENWARE. Overkill? Maybe. Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea man that is mostly a gaming computer aside from the intel but that speaker card and video card is overkill for what you are going to do with this computer. :)

Yea but might as well spend the extra on the vid card and sound card so in case you ever do want to game... :D :D :D

Guys,

I don't want to build. I can't build.

I will look at the configuration SENSELESS just
recommended in the morning. It's late.

How is that company, by the way? I want to make
sure whatever company I buy from is reputable and
offers good customer service.

Also....

Do I go AMD or INTEL? I am inclined to go AMD
because I want the 64-bit processing to make sure
I am ready for Windows XP 64.

If I go AMD I am going with the FX-55 (or whichever the
top of the line chip is).

Sound card? I want to pump music through it. I
need OPTICAL inputs to pump my XM componant unit
through it. I already have an external EXTIGY. I figured
the AUDIGY would be better.

Again....

Is the company that SENSELESS recommended a good
company?

Also, would you recommend AMD over PENTIUM?

Guys, I know this is overkill for a non-gamer but
I need a computer that will last me a few years and
still be cutting-edge. This is a computer I am going
to grow into.

Finally....

Thanks to all of you. Of all the boards I visited,
you guys gave me the most advice.

Please keep it coming. This purchase is crucial.

The Pentium 6** series processor you've got is 64 bit compatible therefore it'll run 64 bit applications the same as an Athlon 64.

I simply suggested that you not go with AlienWare because although they do use decent parts for a prebuilt computer company, they slap on a huge price tag. I could save at least $500 on that thing if I built it from buying individual parts, but it's your choice in the end mate. ;)

Hi NJ,

I am inclined to say, due to the nature of your requirements, that you should probably go with an Intel. I don't know much about the FX series (since I don't own one), but the Intels should probably give you a better "zing" when you try to multitask over an AMD 64.

But, the actual apps you are using is important. If your business/engineering apps you are using will benefit from 64 bit instructions, then hey, by all means consider that.

Your graphic card seems just overkill. If you have money to burn, that's fine. Otherwise, I'd just go with a cheaper vid card. And I mean cheap. If your apps need 3D rendering, well then it's the same as playing a game - maybe even more intensive. So I think it's better if you list ur apps for us to see before anyone gives advice.

And for the HDDs, try a raid system. 2 x 120Gb Raid 0 drives will be much faster than 1 250 Gb drive.

Also, another thing I should bring to your attention is the need for a good backup system. Does your office have a nework backup?.. b/c for office tasks, you'd better have a good backup! :)

NJRonbo said:
Guys,

I don't want to build. I can't build.

I will look at the configuration SENSELESS just
recommended in the morning. It's late.

How is that company, by the way? I want to make
sure whatever company I buy from is reputable and
offers good customer service.

Also....

Do I go AMD or INTEL? I am inclined to go AMD
because I want the 64-bit processing to make sure
I am ready for Windows XP 64.

If I go AMD I am going with the FX-55 (or whichever the
top of the line chip is).

Sound card? I want to pump music through it. I
need OPTICAL inputs to pump my XM componant unit
through it. I already have an external EXTIGY. I figured
the AUDIGY would be better.

Again....

Is the company that SENSELESS recommended a good
company?

Also, would you recommend AMD over PENTIUM?

Guys, I know this is overkill for a non-gamer but
I need a computer that will last me a few years and
still be cutting-edge. This is a computer I am going
to grow into.

Finally....

Thanks to all of you. Of all the boards I visited,
you guys gave me the most advice.

Please keep it coming. This purchase is crucial.
Well like I said in an earlier post, since you are using this computer in a working environment mainly for multi-tasking, photoshopping, etc. Intel is definitely the way to go.

AND YES YOU WILL BE READY FOR X64 64 BIT!!! THAT INTEL PROCESSOR IS A 64 BIT PROCESSOR!
sorry for caps, just had to make sure you noticed.

Yes I think you should get the audigy 2 ZS sound card you selected. It is a good sound card and not that expensive, might as well get it.

Also that computer that senseless just quoted is crap. It has a weak hard drive, weak video card, pretty much everything in that system is pretty crappy and yet they are still going to charge you over $2000 for it. Certaintly not a good deal. Alienware is a way better choice than that company.

I think you should stick with the exact setup you had originally in your first post! But go RAID 0 on the hard drives, everything else is fine!

As dale mention consider 10K RPM Drivers over the standard 7K RPM Drives.

RAIDing two 7200RPM drives will give you less of a performance boast than a single 10000RPM drive. I have two 36GB 10000RPM drives in a RAID 0, they work wonderfully, and yes, any data transfer benchmarking program will give you a nice number, but in real world applications, a RAID 0 is not a very big performance gain.

Since someone recommended data back-up, a RAID 1 seems like a good choice, RAID 1 will mirror your data on two drives, so if one drive fails, data on the other drive will still be fine and you won't have lost anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom