Buying new computer...should I go 64 bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adinu

Baseband Member
Im shopping around for a new notebook, and Im prolly going to get a top of the line product, meaning I will be using it for many years to come (at least 3 more college years). Recently I heard that XP 64 came out, and soon other apps will be made 64 bit exclusivly (sp?).

My question is, should I bother gettin a 64 bit cpu for the future, or is this 64 bit stuff still rather new. I dont want to buy a pentium m and have it be useless in a year or 2 because its not 64bit capable?

So should I go with the pentium m 2.0 or a amd64 3400+?

And please dont say one or the other just cuz ur biased towards amd or intel.

if your gaming go with the dell xps gen2 notebook it has the 6800 ultra vid card the best one out for notebooks and its only on the dell

but the only thing is you have to use the pentium m 2.0 which odnt get me wrong is a great proc but if you wanted to go amd you cant

but all in all thats the best notebook out

Nah, Im not really into too extensive gaming, just school work and stuff like that. And my pricerange is up to 1300, so those 2 setups are my only choices. I just wanted to know what the deal was with the 64 bit scene. Like I said, I dont wanna buy a 32 bit processor now, and have it be useless when all the apps are 64 bit.

Re:

Hello,

Keep in mind that power and thermal management greatly affect laptop computers. For example, a Mobile AMD Athlon 64 bit processor would conserve more power, and manage better than a laptop with just an AMD Athlon 64 bit processor. Same applies with the intel range of processors.

Try and stick with a laptop which is designed for optimum portability, which will conserve power and thermally manage well. That way it will last longer when you are out and about without a power outlet. I suggest you avoid laptops that do not have mobile processors.

Unfortunately, an AMD Mobile 64 bit processor laptop is comparatively expensive. If you're just word processing, surfing the net, instant messaging and that kind of thing, then maybe a 32 bit processor would be cost effective. Like a centrino :D .

Having being in University for a while now, I have to say that having an "expensive" laptop is not a good thing. b/c whether you like it or not, you'll have to leave it in the library or somewhere sometimes and go. Things get stolen. On the other hand $1300 is not a great deal of money. But I highly doubt you'll be able to play any decent games on it 3 years down the road tho.

Ever considered getting a good desktop computer and having another laptop that's not very expensive?.. Personally I'd go for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom