Weirdest problem i've ever encountered!

Status
Not open for further replies.
16 bit is rather odd. I can see at least the possibility that those might have trouble, but FarCry? and UT? those should have no issues whatsoever. Is your filesystem by any chance something very arcane? The only other thing I can think of right now is that you have some sort of strange file tree error on your temp directory. Try changing it to some other folder (and experiment with burying it deep in your file tree). Go to System Properties->Advanced->Environment variables (got that from here) and change it around. It would be great if you could put it on another drive.
And just to make sure the installer isnt corrupt, MD5 it and try it on another comp (the sum maker I use is here).

@killians45, I will try that for sure!

@digitaloracle
the farcry error was returning "corrupted" errors:
Error 1335. The '(RANDOM FILES HERE)' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

What's weird is every install attempt gives out different corrupted files.. sometimes i get stopped at 50% .. sometimes i get to as far as 90%.. different corrupted files.. sometimes it's MAP something.. then TEXTURE..most of the time its DATA.CAB.. but for sure it's not consistent.. and the medium/source is perfect as it is a nero image drive file (NRG) and it worked with everyone except me and this other guy..

Could it be that my MSI installer thingy in my system is corrupt? It seem to install everything else (msi, installwise, etc).. only on some stuffs..

Arcane? Not at all. it's all DEFAULT XP stuff. Except for some tweaks on the services... I know my services very well and im sure i didnt touch anything that may have caused this. I have also tried this on my FRESH install of XP.. jumped right to the installation of farcry.

Some may have suggested hardware problem..

I ruled out RAM.. i memtest them.. and interchanged them.. no problems there..

I ruled out HardDrives.. They are under 1 year.. and i've ran numerous tests on them including SpinRite 6.

Processor? I've ran prime95 on my OCs for hours and it didnt fail me..

The only thing i can't verify is Mobo.. How does one check if mobo is 100% ok?

Ok.. now for the hashes. I've created sums for Farcry nrg files as well as their "loaded" images (like it's actually on CD).. I will compare it with my friend's copies later on.. as for now.. I tested the sums that i created from Drive F: (loaded image containing autorun.inf, data1.cab and farcry.exe) and compared it with the actual loaded image (F:/).. I got an error on data1.cab!

thought to myself, this can't be right.. so i created another sum and compared that again with F:/ and it was 100% error free.. somehow the first some i created had mismatched.. the second returned ok.. still the "Actual" install isnt sucessfull..

Now, as for the PhoneWorks package..

I extracted it 2 times.. one with the folder named "PhoneWorksPro" and the other named "asd"...

setup.exe in Phoneworkspro folder gets the 16 Bit error thingy.. the one in the asd folder launches fine.

So, I created sums from both folders and cross checked.. NO ERRORS... So the files are in perfect condition i guess.

also tried your TEMP folder suggestions.. no luck..

TEA

So the install of Farcry works on the other computer? On the error you got with the hash, since it's all on your hard drive (no optical stuff), I can't see why that error would come up, since your drives appear to be working fine. Run it a few more times just to be sure. data.CAB is a huge compressed file, probably containing much of the games actual data, so it is logical that that would be the file most commonly detected as corrupt. Another thing you could try is a different virtual drive program, such as Daemon Tools, to rule out any issues with nero. I have not a clue how these programs fake drives, but perhaps nero is simply having problems with this image. Do other games/apps on CD install fine from their images?

As for Phoneworks, I'll download it later and try it out.

Erm, is this you here, this person seems to have the same problem.

BTW if you decide to use hashes extensively (which you should when backing up stuff), errors will be generated on hidden windows system files such as desktop.ini.

Hi solar, yeah, farcry works on other computers.. yes that's me on that thread! :D hehe.. you can read the full details of my situation there.. first image always works fine but when i get to the second image (CD2) it gets the error..

I seem to be successful at installing SINGLE image games such as HalfLife, Medal of Honor... etc.. these are some games that i've installed using the same setup (*.nrg + nero image drive tool).. but for the games with several installer images, the 2nd or 3rd image gets the error. Again, it works on everyone else.. i tried installing farcry images from a shared folder over the network (which other people used at our LAN party..) same thing..

thanks for the advise regarding hashes..

Do other games/apps on CD install fine from their images?

Yes.. perfectly.. i tried DVD game (LOTR BME) and Split CD installer (5 CDs of DOOM 3)... not a problem..

Try taking a real 2nd or 3rd install CD (the physical disk) and hash it. Then image it, mount the image and compare. If it doesn't work, then there is your problem. If it works, then try hashing another disk, mounting the other image and validating that. Then, open up the virtual drive in Explorer and eject the image without closing Explorer. Mount the second imaged that you have hashed and validate it. What I was trying to do there was to simulate a program still "looking" at the virtual drive while images are swapped (similar to how an installer might handle it). Again, I have no idea if that would even make an impact, but it's worth a shot if you have lots of time to work on this problem. This issue further leads me to beleive that Nero for some reason as issues on your machine. As I said before, try Daemon Tools and see if it works with that. And try an get your hands on a physical set of install disks, perferably from the manufacturer and try installing off those. You could also rule out Image Drive by burning off the NRGs and installing from the physical disks (the burned copies should run the installer, no security checks for that). I'll d/l Phone works in a few minutes and test that.

ahh.. i see. thanks. i will try these.. i will try anything to figure this out... i will gather them CDs.. DVDs... thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom