ninety percent there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conan1981

Baseband Member
90% there...

I put together all the components I talked about in a prior post. I ordered the wrong memory, I did not realize my mobo (abit aa8 duramax) only accepted 240 pin DIMM. Anyway i ordered two 512mb from new egg and will get it soon, then i'll be complete w/ hardware...

A few questions

How should i go about installing everything, in what order and whats first?

I put the two SATA 200gb Seagate Hd's in and was thinking about raiding them, which way should I do it, and also I have an old 20gb seagate from about 4 years ago I put in my lian li case from an old pc. It has windows and all some of my files on it, which i have backed up and they aren't that Important...I was thinking of just keeping that HD as a backup for files like ...

word/adobe/pictures/music (20gb should be enough?) and put my videos, games etc on the 200gb drives. However there is only one IDE spot on my mobo and its taken up by my SATA 200gb seagates, is it even necessary to find a solution to connect my 20gb 4 yr old seagate???

Also how should I partition the 200gb drives, one for OS and programs, one for videos and music?

I put an hp DVD dual write with light scribe technology in my PC and a two year old DVD player in the case, i saw a place on the mobo for a sound cable that is supposed to connect to a cd player, so I connected that to my DVD player NOT my DVD burner...is that fine or do i need both to have the connection? Thanks in advance!!!

Other than that I think I installed everything else correctly, I'll take pictures tomorrow and post em.

ok i'll try to answer some of those questions, but spare me if I come out wrong on some of them.

Keeping that 20gig hd would be a really good idea for backup. Yes it should be enough for just those small files. You don't need to partition the 200gig drives. Just keep your videos, music, games, etc. in different folders (obviously). HP burner with LightScribe! Wow i've always wanted to see how one of those worked! Please let us know how that goes. If you're using XP, i BELIEVE that it is NOT necissary to plug in either of those audio cables. if i understood right, you won't need them. I know you used to have to, but not anymore. I do have one audio cable connected (and idk why..), but there isn't one on my DVD Burner. I'm running XP, and all audio comes through fine.

Can't wait to see pictures!:cool:

If you just want speed then put them in RAID 0. Then back up what you can on the 20gb. However if 200gb of storage is enough for you and you are concerned about losing your data then use a SATA 1 setup. That way if one drives fails you won't lose all your data, it will all be on your other hard drive. But remember with SATA 1 you won't get any speed boost like you will with SATA 0, and also you will have only 200gb of space instead of 400gb.

Partitioning your HDD helps alot. Im also on raid0. I have my C drive at 5GB. 5GB is enough, make sure you only install windows based programs on the C drive. Drivers too. You can also create a Partition for Games only. Same with music. I suggest keeping the Music and software togather. Then your games seperate. That way its alot easier for your HDD to find data. This works best on Raid0.

I suggest running Raid0, your loading times will greatly decrease. Then just get a small HDD as your slave drive. Just store anything thats important in there. That way you can injoy the speed from raid0, but have all your important data on a seperate configuration. I dont have any kind of backup drive. I have Comcast internet, witch supply's me with 1GB e mail storge. I have around 3 accounts. So thats 3GB of storage. I keep anything i need in my E mails. And on my Sony.

Gmail currently give you over 2gb of space, it has a counter and it keeps going up, they are increasing the space by a lot. There is also a program someone made called Gmail drive or something that allow you to use your email space as hard drive storage. It actually show up in my computer by your other drives. So if you had a couple gmail accounts you would have a lot lol. :)

wow- i dont know how anybody other than a huge business would need so much space tho. I have Yahoo Premium (DSL) and have 2GB, and i'm only using like 1% of it!! I NEVER need that much space for just emails!!

So I'll raid0 the two 200gb HDD then backup important documents on the 20gb hard drive, i still didn't some answers about other problems I had ....how do I get my 20gb seagate configured if there is only one IDE input on the MOBO which is occupied by my large hd's???

How do i partition the drives again i forgot ... So I should have

1 for windows
1 for games
1 for video editing

so 3 partitions in raid0 . . .

So I'll raid0 the two 200gb HDD then backup important documents on the 20gb hard drive, i still didn't some answers about other problems I had ....how do I get my 20gb seagate configured if there is only one IDE input on the MOBO which is occupied by my large hd's???

How do i partition the drives again i forgot ... So I should have

1 for windows
1 for games
1 for video editing

so 3 partitions in raid0 . . .????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom