strange pc power down problem !

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevindockerty

Beta member
I have a weird problem with a PC that powers down instantly without any warning. I've disconnected everything from the PC - no usb devices, internet access, or even keyboard, monitor or mouse. Just a PC tower and a mains lead !

After about 3 minutes it turns itself off, if I try it again - turn it on - it powers off within about 30 secs, after that it will just power on and power off after about 10 seconds everytime ?

I thought it was the CPU fan not working and causing overheating - but this is fine. Power supply seems fine and fan is working on that. Changed mains lead - no difference.

Anyone have any ideas ? I've never seen this before.

Any help much appreciated.

go into bios, and watch the temperature. How high does it go when it shuts down?

also what are your specs?

well im assuming ure using a desktop and u said it doesnt overheat, so possibly a virus? how much time do u have before power down? if u have more then a minutes just alt ctrl del and checkt osee whats running in the background. N e thingg suspicious close.

Other then that try booting in safe mode...

will the bios give temperature ?

Cant see the spec as I dont get chance to read it as it powers down too quick !
It looks like a pIII 2.0-2.5gb 'ish', 512mb ram, basically pretty standard tower jobby about 12 months old

Lasrix said:
well im assuming ure using a desktop and u said it doesnt overheat, so possibly a virus? how much time do u have before power down? if u have more then a minutes just alt ctrl del and checkt osee whats running in the background. N e thingg suspicious close.

Other then that try booting in safe mode...

virus? wtf? that's retarded, why would a virus do that

but yea, boot into safe mode and see what happens

I'm fairly certain this not a virus - the OS or any program or virus doesent get time to load before it powers down !

The bios will give you real time temperatures.

btw if you dont know how to get in the bios it is one of thse buttons: delete or a F button e.g. F1.

there was that shutting down virus (trojan? I can't remmeber) that caused loads of trouble for buisnesses.

it IS a tower not desktop.

No time to get into BIOS - unless I let it cool maybe and try again

I know I can hit Del or F1 or whatever to access the BIOS - but sometimes it doesnt get that far !

It powers down really quick - its very annoying and I've never seen anything like it !

wow, talk about getting slammed over a little thing eh? i dont know, i was just guessing, take it easy ladies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom