newbie at building a pc...help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c4sTr0

In Runtime
hey at this moment i am entering this post from a 866mhz compaq presario. does anymore have to be said why im trying to build this pc?
im a gamer and for the past year i resorted to xbox live because i just couldnt take the lag of my hellish presario with out stabbbing the monitor.
untill like a week ago i really didnt know shit about the hardware in computers but ive been researching everynight and i think ive got the handle on things.
with my knowledge ive aquired from alotta websites ive put together a recipe for my new beautiful gaming pc.
im sure you guys know a **** load more than i do so please tell me anything u possibly can about my list. what sucks and what could be changed.
here it is:

-amd athlon clawhammer 3400 cpu (2.2GHz, 1MB, 800MHz FSB, Socket 754)
-Abit NF8 nForce3 250GB Athlon 64/Sempron Skt754 DDR ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID/Seria (i really have no idea if this sucks, i only chose it because it has a 754 socket and it has a really long fancy name)
-ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Video Card (256MB, AGP 8X, 2D/3D w/ TV-Out)
-Corsair 1GB PC3200 DDR-RAM 9its a twin set thing)
-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro

alright there it is.
i ran up the numbers and its commin out to $1168.
im gonna have to make a cut here and there. ill be turning 16 in a few days so im not shitting money at this period of my life.

here is another list i found on a website called - "http://www.mysuperpc.com/"

this is it:
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo Platinum
Processor AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Ram Crucial 1024MB PC3200 DDR
Video Card ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Hard Drive Western Digital 120GB 7200rpm Ultra ATA100
DVD RW NEC ND-3520A Dual Format Double Layer
Sound Card Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS (but the motherboard built-in sound is very good)

so yea, just please give me some pointers im pretty lost here. my parents are old and still dont know what a monitor is (i explain it as beingt the tv). so as u see im on my own here.
should i try to have a mind of my own and be an individual and go with what i put together or this other guys thing.
or please go right ahead and fix what ever is wrong with mine.

thx a billion.
-c4sTr0

I would get a socket 939 nforce4 motherboard myself
better vid card too
and do you really need an audigy 4? the audigy 2 ZS is great for me
I think a pci-e video card would also be better

I'm thiking something more along these lines

DFI lan party Nforce4 Ultra
AMD Ahtlon 64 3200+ Winchester core (cooler, better)
2X512mb corsair
sound blaster audigy 2 ZS
same NEC DVD burner
RADEON X800 XL

I don't have time to link and price right now, probably a little less than the price you got, but it is much better overall.
If you have enough money the X850 XT is a better video card btw.

ahh thats awesome thx dude
yea i already have a nec dvd burner and it rocks

and yea the 754 is suppose to be getting old soon
that looks alot better than what i had

It's early in the afternoon, a lot more suggestions will be here by tonight. I know what some of them are going to be already.

They will probably also include the DFI lan party nforce4 ultra motherboard
along with a 3200+ they might even suggest the new venice core that is coming out soon
and probably a 6600gt for the video card
but since you have a higher buget I would recommend a more powerful card, such as the x800 xl or x850 xt

uhh well i understood the motherboard part.. whats the 3200+

and btw should i consider intel?
cuz i use the hell outa my computers. would the overclocking be that smart for me?

hey one thing i really dont understand is what every1 says about the value with athlon. they so its so much cheaper and performs so much better for such a better price. but when i look at the products it looks like the complete opposite!
like look here:

Intel Pentium 4 w/ HT Technology - 3.0GHz Processor
3.0GHz, 1MB, 800MHz FSB, Socket 478

-$179

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester Processor
2.2GHz, 512KB, 1600MHz, Socket 939

-$279.95

the $179 intel has 3ghz while the $279.95 athlon only has the 2.2ghz
from what i see, your paying $100 more to have 1 less ghz
..........am i missing something here?

OK see where it says FSB that is why AMD is quicker. when looking at an AMD look at the xxxx+ number that is how many mhz INtel it would equal so like +3500 would be the same as a 3.5 GHZ intel

Intel has fatter pipelines so the frequency is different. A 2ghz athlon actuallt compares to a 3 ghz intel, because of the difference in the pipelines. So actually of the two you just mentioned the athlon performs a lot better. And so with the 1 ghz + rule the athlon's actually are a bit cheaper.
Athlon's are better for gaming anyway, Intel is for multitasking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom