Urgent virus problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, the best thing to do is to have yourself behind a hardware firewall.
Use Mozilla Firefox.
Have Up-to-date A/V files.
Have some Spyware detection software.
And if you really want to be virus free, get linux.

If she is not, or will not, get and use an anti-virus program of some sort, she deserves what she gets.

There are several great free ones out there. A firewall does not, nor can it, stop a virus. It will stop or slow down a hack or invasion attempt, and will keep rouge programs from accessing the internet, but it is not virus protection.

My AV stops viruses on a regular basis. While surfing, it pops up and lets me know that I opened a page with a virus on it, and that it has taken care of the problem, or what I need to do to take care of it. Surfing without it is asking for trouble.

Hardware firewalls don't stop everything.

For example, my Zone Alarm since installation (close to two months) has stopped 478 instrusion attempts and I'm behind a hardware firewall.

Anyways PC Chillin has been a critic favourite when it comes to PC security. I myself use NAV 2004. Works for me. Daily updates if you do it manually...weekly if you use live update. I believe Norton is also what the US military uses but theirs is most likely a much more expensive Norton ;).

Anyways to surf on the internet with no protection is suicide these days. I once had a buddy get 3,000 viruses on his PC. Seriously.

Generally this is the line of defense most people recommend:

Front line - Hardware firewall
Second line - Software firewall...you can use Windows firewall but beware because it does not stop outbound...Zone Alarm is free and it works great.

Even then viruses will get through so...

Third line - AV programs, spyware programs, popup blocker, and etc. (I suggest PC Chillin' and a combo of Spybot, Ad Aware SE, and Spy Sweeper and to use Firefox). Update Windows also.

If your neighbour doesn't want to pay just download free programs:

Software firewall - Zone Alarm or Sygate
Ant-virus (AV) - Panda's free online scan, Avast
Spyware - Spybot, Ad Aware SE

To check your firewall visit www.grc.com .

Might as well have her download Microsoft AntiSpyware. It's free, and it's good.

Trotter said:
If she is not, or will not, get and use an anti-virus program of some sort, she deserves what she gets.

There are several great free ones out there. A firewall does not, nor can it, stop a virus. It will stop or slow down a hack or invasion attempt, and will keep rouge programs from accessing the internet, but it is not virus protection.

My AV stops viruses on a regular basis. While surfing, it pops up and lets me know that I opened a page with a virus on it, and that it has taken care of the problem, or what I need to do to take care of it. Surfing without it is asking for trouble.

Is yours a free one trotter - if so what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom