laptop lcd appears too "bright"

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumlix18

Solid State Member
ok, i just got a new "used" laptop in the mail. its an old one, an old compaq lte 5400. i like these computers just to mess around on and check email in bed with. anyway, i turned it on and the screen appears to have alot of gamma compared to my other one. now, this new one appears like it is brand new and never opened (very surprising how well it was taken care of considering how old it is). but could this possibly be a software (bios) thing or hardware? the wires seem to all be in tact on the motherboard. all the other colors appear fine, and has a nice rich black to it. it just appears lighter on most whiter colors than before. could it be a bad wire somethere? i'd like opinions before i swap out lcd's. thanks!

also, the screen seems to have these faint "ghostly" flickers when its reading the hard drive. could it be a grouding problem? loose wire? thanks again

have a look in display properties for contrast, i know my our Toshiba has options in there

i know there arent any contrast options. this is a very basic computer with only a brightness slider. i was thinking of swapping out the upper boards soon.

its hard to explain. the lcd is obviously brigther than my other one, but maybe thats just how it is. maybe it seems this way because its not as "used" as the other one is. this laptop is in very good shape for its age...

why not? it's not hurting anyone. it just sits there, it's a classic. not like i use it, just surprised it still works...i even have one of the green-screen compaq luggables.

I agree,older laptops normallly do what they where designed to do till the day they die as long as you use software that is within their limitations.They can still be useful for say writing email,storing recipes and as in my case ;small inexpensive computers for children to learn on.keep it :)

T22 4me said:
I agree,older laptops normallly do what they where designed to do till the day they die as long as you use software that is within their limitations.They can still be useful for say writing email,storing recipes and as in my case ;small inexpensive computers for children to learn on.keep it :)

exactly. this little thing actually runs windows 2000 fine. it's maxed out hardware-wise for it's model. it runs surprisingly well for a back-up laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom