Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudolf_Hoss

Beta member
I bought my son an M30 Toshiba Satellite laptop 11 months ago
He came to visit mefrom University and started work on his essays
He had just finished when thehard drive started to sound like a coffee grinder
Then it just quit
Well Toshiba "service" department toldme that the drive will be in in a day. then they started lying
After a week, I found out that it was "back - ordered"
I had to give my son his machine in working order
i had to go to a jobber who got a drive"from a different source" in 1 day
Cost $ 500 for something that was supposed to be warranty
I then was told to look at their website and found a list of machines woth defective drives
No wonder the drives are not in stock
They cannot keep up with the failing machines
If you buy a Toshiba laptop remember my experience
There willbe no warranty, but lots of lies from their service department(after they ask you all your biographical data , at each contact, of course..)

TOSHIBA: LOUSY LAPTOP LOUSIER SERVICE

http://news.zdnet.com/2102-9595..
TOSHIBA CORP AGREED TOA $ 2.1 BILLION SETTLEMENT FOR SELLING DEFECTIVE LAPTOP COMPUTERS IN THE US
http://www.planetfeedback.com/sharedLettersList/..
Actual Titles

Toshiba poorly made laptops
Defective hardware on Toshiba satellite
Unreliability of Laptop Model 6100
Deceptive Repair Practices and Lack of Customer service standards
Poor Toshiba customer Service
Toshiba Support Nightmare

I wrote to the Prez in Japan, let's see how much good that does me

How can a HD be $500? I bought a 40GB Toshiba 16mb buffer notebook HD a month ago and it costs me less than $97.

Anyways, you should write to the head of Toshiba Canada not the prez in Japan. Although it is the same company there are different BUs. If you get a response it would be nice but it will probably a generic we thank you for your response or who knows maybe not.

As for support almost ALL support from big companies suck. HP especially those customer agents/fake technicians are just plain dumb. I swear they read from a list FROM THEIR HOUSE.

Also the defected Toshiba laptops are from 1985 to 1999. They have since improved their practices. What you experienced was just dumb customer service. The newer Toshibas don't crap out like the old ones. I never heard of hordes of Toshiba laptops failing for a long time. HP on the other hand...their quality has dropped unbelievably.

But I still can't understand why it would cost you $500 to replace a HD? You got ripped if that was the case. Also, don't send a laptop to Toshiba or ANY direct manufacturer to fix. They will RIP you off. My notebook HD failed too last month (Hitachi) due to shock and HP wanted to charge me $399.99 for a freaking 20gb HD AND the shipping costs for sending my laptop which would be there for a MONTH and back. It was a joke. But I also had warranty at Future Shop but warranty states that they get to keep the HD and call me cynical but I had private and financial documents in that HD which can be retrieved by HD recovery methods. Plus they would charge me $80 to upgrade from a 20gb to 40 gb so I just went and bought one myself and installed it myself.

Thanks very much for the feedback on Toshiba Laptops

I certainly got ripped off
I needed the machine back and on line in a hurry
What is the use complaining more to Toshiba Canada?
Get a popped vein?
We should all check the internet
Type in "Toshiba LaptopComplaints"
The screen will light up
"Toshiba settles $2.1 billion class action lawsuit for selling defective laptops in the US"
Right there, in black and white
Then go to "www.planetfeedback.com/sharedletters/viewletter" check for Toshiba Laptop
Horror story after horror story
What would they care about one more complaint?
They cast the net, and whoever gets caught in gets fried for dinner
Many of us are too ashamed to talk about it
I am a Professional Engineer in my mid 50's , you'd think I have more brains than to buy based on a "friend's " advice
I am obviously stupid
I just want to be of help to others, to know whatthey could (most likely will) be faced with

Wow I have never seen any problems with toshiba laptops, and their considered best in their class up here.

Toshiba is UNIQUE
I sent a registered letter to the President of the corporation in Japan
It's now 2 weeks
Not a word
I guess, when they just settled a 2.1 billion dollars in the States(no exaggeration, see ZD Net) and with hundreds of letters of outright hate(like I feel) all over the internet(just search Toshiba Laptop Complaints) they just do not care
I even got "flamed' a couple of times on the site , everyone forgets i am the victim and some do not believe me.
Believe it, i have never witnessed such arrogant denial of the most elementary warranty , coupled with the determination of doing nothing and getting away with it!
The attitude is "sue me, you'll get nowhere'

Toshiba Laptop - Worst Product I ever bought

After 1 month, no acknowledgement after the registered letter I wrote to the president of the corporation in Japan
The website"thesqueakywheel.com" where I posted my nightmare with this evil corporation, has now the story of the administrator of a University Group of Medical students who are being totally abused by their choice of Toshiba Laptops
Naturally, after having paid off a $ 2.1 billion class action lawsuit in the States, why would Toshiba care about individual customers?
It's now just a drop in the bucket and, if we do not like it it's like"why do we pay our corporate lawyers for? Go to Small Claims Court" :mad:

This wont help with your toshiba;but,check out IBM Thinkpads.A good forum is www.thinkpads.com.The forum administrator Bill Morrow sells new and used.IBM thinkpads are 2nd in quality to no one and from what I understand their service is outstanding.Personally I prefer not needing service.Thats why I have researched and bought 5 for myself and others.

Re: Toshiba Laptop - Worst Product I ever bought

Rudolf_Hoss said:
After 1 month, no acknowledgement after the registered letter I wrote to the president of the corporation in Japan
The website"thesqueakywheel.com" where I posted my nightmare with this evil corporation, has now the story of the administrator of a University Group of Medical students who are being totally abused by their choice of Toshiba Laptops
Naturally, after having paid off a $ 2.1 billion class action lawsuit in the States, why would Toshiba care about individual customers?
It's now just a drop in the bucket and, if we do not like it it's like"why do we pay our corporate lawyers for? Go to Small Claims Court" :mad:

Should it really surprise you that you got no surprise? Its a different BU. You should have wrote to the BU in you country even though you still might get no response.

Also wasn't the lawsuit for laptops between 1985 to 1999 if I remember correctly?

Toshiba laptops are not bad. My buddy has one that breaks down though. In fact it broke down for the 4th time BUT it was NOT Toshiba's fault. My buddy hasn't turned off his laptop since October and he covered the fan vent by accident one night so it overheated and died. He did that FOUR times...what an idiot...until he figured out.

But in general Toshiba is not bad.

IBM thinkpads are really not that much better. I have a close friend who works in IBM. IBM quality is not as good as people would believe. They don't really care about the home market anymore evidence by the fact they sold off their PC division to a China company. I don't know if that includes notebooks though. Anyhow, I don't consider them better than Toshiba. IBM is more about innovation as evidence by their amount of patents per year. Their PCs and stuff crapped out long ago. It's just as off the shelf as an HP or Dell PC.

But try it. They might give you better luck than a Toshiba. Or build your own if you have time. Or get an HP...even though I hate HP my laptop a zt1155 has never failed on me except when I dropped it and the HD shocked and died. Other than that it has worked consistently well or try an mdg. I own a mgd PC and so do many people I know...service is great...priced better than brands like HP and etc. Of course building your own is still the best way to go as you can ensure you have the parts you want not too mention save on cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom