first time building a pc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

deh707

Solid State Member
yes, im the guy who at first "was about to purchase a dell dimension 8400", but everyone says to "build my own", which i started thinking of doing...

starting from scratch, can i shop at www.newegg.com for every pc hardware parts?

if i do that, where can i get someone to build it, or where can i learn to build it myself?

these are the parts i chose, what am i missing? and are all of these parts compatibale with each other?: (i dont need a monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard) below are PAGE 1 and PAGE 2 of my newegg.com order

*scroll down*

uh oh, the dvd-rom and dvd writer drives, AND hard drives are OEM.

does that mean the wires aren't included? should i go for "RETAIL" on every item?

First off, your power supply is incompatable with that motherboard.
You need at least 15amps. It has 13. Your power supply has 20 pins. You need 24.

Either get a stronger 20 pin power supply - Over 15 amps, or by a 24pin powersupply.

Most people don't realize that the New PCI Express X1 X4 and X16 slots require much more energy.

You should get the Case, DVD RW, Hard drive, and Graphics card off newegg.
Get everything else off zipzoomfly.com

Get a Gig of ram also.
Do you have windows?

The motherboard should give you good enouph directions to build the computer. Thats how I learned.

yeah. i have the quantity set at "2" for the corsair 512mb ddr ram.

now, do i need to change the motherboard?

and yes, i have a retail windows xp home cd that i havent installed on any computer yet.

1.) that board is mATX, try getting an ATX mobo (and plus, i don't think that board is very good)
2.) you have to get a new psu no matter what; this is a good and cheap one:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-154&depa=0
3.) for your ram, use this instead:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-218-062&depa=1
4.) just to let everyone know, he's getting a retail clawhammer (the only cpu's newegg has are OEM newcastles and winnies and retail clawhammer for 3500+)

edit: no matter what case you get, the psu sucks (especially raidmax psu's suck the most)

You can't use that case. Its 14 amps. Still to low.
Use antec, thermaltake...
An Nforce 3 board will be fine.
But you will need to switch the Card for an AGP.
I suggest you keep the NForce 4, its much better.

ok i chose this:

OCZ ModStream 450W Power Supply with OCZ EZMod technology, SATA Connector, Model "OCZ45012U" -RETAIL

AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512K, L2 Cache, Socket 939 Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor - Retail

EVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express, Model "128-P2-N368-TX" -RETAIL

TwinMOS Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR PC-3200, Model TMII400/1GB - OEM

Seagate 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model ST3120026A-RK, Retail

what case AND motherboard do you guys recommend?

*EDIT* i chose this case with no power supply:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-156-011&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE

will it work?

*UPDATE*
are all of these compatible with each other?

newegg1.jpg

newegg2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom