are these computer parts compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calzinger

Beer
These are the parts for my new computer, but I'm unsure if the parts will actually work. This is the first computer I've ever built so I'm a major newbie. So my basic question is: are these parts compatible?

Read my signature if it gets difficult to read in the list below.
  • MSI "K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI" NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL $179.50
  • XFX nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, Dual DVI/TV-Out, PCI-E, Model "PVT45GUD" -RETAIL $384.00
  • AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 512KB L2 Cache, Socket 939 64-bit Processor - Retail $190.00
  • Geil Ultra Series Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB (512MBx2) DDR PC-4400 w/ Copper Heat Spreader w/ Temp Thermometer, Model GL1G4400DC - Retail $222.50
  • Seagate 7200.8 300GB 7200RPM SATA NCQ Hard Drive, Model ST3300831AS-RK, -RETAIL $209.00
  • OCZ PowerStream 520W Power Supply With Adjustable Power Rails With LED Indicators, SATA Connector, Model "OCZ520ADJ" -RETAIL $143.00
  • Athena Power 20pin (ATX Male) to 20pin (ATX Female) Extension Cable, Model Cable-AD11 $9.00
  • NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive, Silver w/ Software Model ND-3520A, OEM $62.49
  • SILVERSTONE TEMJIN Series Silver ATX Full Tower Case with Window and Wind Tunnel, Model "SST-TJ06S-W" -RETAIL $145.40
total: $1544.89

I have been told of the following issues but I do believe they are corrected with added parts (ie. 20 to 20 extension cable).
  • The case throws the motherboard upside down. Given the case's size, there have been many problems with getting the power cable to reach the motherboard. I have added a 20pin to 20pin extension cable to correct this, but I am unsure if I need a 20pin to 20pin or a 20pin to 24pin. Which do I need to buy?
  • Apparently my motherboard doesn't support 4400 ram so it will just get clocked down to 3200. Can it be OC'ed to optimize the ram?
  • The motherboard supports 2.5v while the memory voltage is 2.65v to 2.95v. From what I have been told, the timings will mess up from this. How can this be fixed? Can I increase the voltage on the motherboard?
  • Will the ThermalRight XP-90 heatsink + fan fit in my case with the wind tunnel?

I'd appreciate any feedback on the potential problems I have designated above. It would be really nice to order the parts that work, rather than give newegg $1500 only to have to go through the hassle of returning it or even be stuck with a non-refundable part! :eek:

Thanks in advance.

hmmm... i wouldnt pay that much for a psu, try a modular one, stick only with ram supported by your mobo get pc3200. get a eVGA 6800 gt itll run better

Yeah you will have problems with the power supply reaching down their.

Also download the mobo manual off the net and read it, it should tell you if you need 24 pin. I believe it is 24 pin too :)

ram
I'm buying the fast memory as an investment. Should I replace some parts when this technology gets old, the memory will still be intact. I also looked around and all of the 3200 low latency and heatspreaders ram were around the same price or even more costly. So, hey why the hell not? I can always overclock the motherboard to support the RAM at this stage until I replace the parts.

evga 6800 GT?
I heard that the evga's have great overclocking potential, but their software bundle is actually non-existant :). But does EVGA's 6800GT really have a noticable edge? If not, I'd like the software!

cable extension
I think the mobo is a 24-pin. Would this cable work?

Actually, I do need a cable extension not a converter. My power supply comes with a converter so that cable is useless. Athena Power 24pin (EPS-12V Male) to 24pin (EPS-12V Female) Extension Cable, Model Cable-AD08 is the cable I need. For anyone that has this case, do you think that a single extension will be enough?

By the way, I did move to the eVGA card. I dislike its non-existant software package compared to the XFX, but eVGA is reliable and can overclock like crazy.

It will run slightly higher than normal value 3200. MOBOs specify a recommended ram speed but they are capable of running faster. The only potential issue are the timings.

Naah for a 6800GT you want 256meg. For overclocking eVGA will give you a big advantage as well as XFX, except XFX is a crapshoot if it works right or now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom