HUGE Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

manlycaN

Solid State Member
Ok lets start this off. I had a HP Pavallon 503n. Got a new computer, didnt use it for a couple of months. Now a friend is going to buy it from me. So i'm installing a new hard drive for him. I install it and i put in a 98 boot disk to format and install xp. So i do "run with CD-ROM support, it goes thru and then it says "no drives found, aborting installation" All my drives are connected, so i go to the bios and it isnt detecting anything. Its a HP Version GL_VE Motherboard, I think an Intel845G? So i go and reset the CMOS jumpers and try again and it still doesnt work. Can anyone help me try to get this thing to detect the drives?

by the way, the current bios version is 3.24

Just boot it from a CD. Go to the BIOS and there should be an option which allows you to change the way how you boot up the disk, CD, floppy, etc. On the first one, select CD. 2nd should be Floppy, then last should be the hard drive. It might work, just a guess.

ok i set up my boot order like you said, put in my win98 SE CD and it says "operating system not found" and doesnt do anything after that. what do you recommend?

for bios set first boot to CD and diable everything else and see what happens

and when it says "press enter to install os" u actually gotta press enter or it won't install

and if those don't work you can ghost your HDD and delete your files

Nope, i tried to disable everything and still got the same message.
Any other ideas?

Am I right in thinking the bios doesn't detect the hard drive or the CDROM?
How have you got the drives configured? ie which channels are they on & what are the master/slave settings?

Go into the bios, and look at what is on channel 0/1 of the ide (assuming). It should show the 1-4 devices there. If it doesn't...you need to ensure you have them plugged in good...and didn't do what I recently did, I had a pin bent on the cd-drive. Just bent it back and worked great, but was a pain until then :)

Ok so heres an update. I finally got the computer to detect the hard drive. but it still wont detect the CD-ROM. I changed out the cables and that didnt work. So i changed the CD-ROM and that STILL didnt work. I dont see any bent pins and its set as master (its the only cd rom) I know this one works too. Could it be the cable or something else?

Also: It says "Device Driver Not Found: MSCD001"
"No valid CDROM device driver selected"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom