Temp Sensor on an AMD64??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer_RPK

In Runtime
OK, I'm put'n together my upgrade, the parts are on the way, and I'm wounding where to put the temp sensors thatÂ’er comeÂ’n with the case?
HereÂ’s the layout, just to give you an idea:
DFI "LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb" NVIDIA nForce3 250GB chipset
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Thermaltake Fanless 103 Heatpipe Cooler "CL-P0019"
Arctic Silver 5 (to bondÂ’em)
ULTRA X-Connect 500 Watt Modular ATX Power Supply
PNY Vertro GeForce 6800GT
1GB DDR333
all put together inside an
Antec P-160
with a couple of
120mm Vantec SF12025L Double Ball Bearing Stealth Case Fans
now from what I've read DON'T stick it between the cpu and the heatsink. But looking at the layout of my cpu cooler, can I stick it on top of that copper plate??(I attached a pic) and in any case what do I attach it with?? I've never temped anything before, and I'm not OC'n so it's not AS crucial to get exact temps, but since itÂ’s built into the case I figured IÂ’d hook it up. Any other tips'er welcome.

Attachments

• heatpipe.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 63
There should already be temperature sensors on the motherboard for cpu, and other various things. Put the sensor somewhere else, maybe for outside temperature.

I agree - up-to-date motherboards should allready have a CPU sensor on should also have a south/north bridge sensor too, maybe you should have it around your HDD(s)/CD-Drive(s) etc.

I was just think'n the cpu because the temp probes in the case display on the front of the case. that's all. and if I'm not mistaken the one's already in there can only be read by software? or maybe off sum pinouts too?

Absolutely do not put anything between the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink except thermal paste, but I think you can stick it on the top of the heatsink like you suggested.

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (get a winchester 3500+ instead)
ULTRA X-Connect 500 Watt Modular ATX Power Supply (get an antec neopower480, ocz modstreams 450/520, or fortron blue storm 500)
PNY Vertro GeForce 6800GT (get the evga one)
1GB DDR333 (wtf...are you kidding? get ddr400)

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (get a winchester 3500+ instead)
ULTRA X-Connect 500 Watt Modular ATX Power Supply (get an antec neopower480, ocz modstreams 450/520, or fortron blue storm 500)
PNY Vertro GeForce 6800GT (get the evga one)
1GB DDR333 (wtf...are you kidding? get ddr400)

diabloII, like I said in my original post, this is an upgrade and I've already got the parts. Parts suggestions isn't what I'm looking for/ The only reason I don't have ddr400 is because I've already got a gig of 333, I was try'n keep the upgrade under $650.00 went a little over budget and spent $720.00 though. Video cards existing too.
If you'd like to put your two cents in on where I should put the temp sensors that'd be a better use of a post
thanks

so what should i use to adhere the probe to the top of the heatsink? preferably non-permanent? incase i donÂ’t like where it is i can move it. and something aesthetic cause iÂ’ll have to look at it all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom