Mobo Fries a PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidemm

Solid State Member
Hey Gang,

Thanks for reading!

My old AMD-Athlon T-Bird 1.13 GHz machine is dieing. I don't have any cash for a new one, but I'm hoping I can just bandage it up and that I've had some bad luck with a recent purchase.

First, the original PSU died. I tested it with a freind's spare and it worked fine. I went onto NewEgg and bought a brand new Rosewill 450 Watt PSU a couple of weeks ago. Things had been working fine with the new PSU except that my graphics card started to over-heat for the first time. When playing games, the screen would turn black and it required a hard restart to get the screen back.

I went out for the evening last night and when I came back, my computer was turned off and I didn't know how that happened. I turn it on and there was a really high-pitched whine coming from something. While it was loading the WinXP splash screen, the whole system crashed and turned off. WTF?!?! was my first thought. I unplugged everything from the system accept for the CPU fan and the PSU, and I was still having the whining noise. For a second, I unhooked the CPU fan (I know, I know) and the only thing running was the PSU. It was the whiner. So I'm guessing the new one just blew. I hope it's still under waranty. Is it possible that some how my MOBO is causing my PSUs to die? Or did I just get a sucker PSU?

I know my electrical work is fine because I'm at college and I'm the only one with a problem.

David

its very unlikely that your mobo is causing it, unless you have a fault in it somewhere. id say you probablly just had a dud PSU

rosewill is really just a psu with no brand; try getting a good psu this time (with a better brand)

Thanks for the input.

What is this about Rosewill being no-brand?

Also, the problem is that I'm in school and bought a bunch of things are once. I had too many boxes in my room and so I threw the retail box away so I don't think I'll be getting a replacement :-(

David

Don't believe you'd need the original packaging for an RMA request. Contact the manufacturer and make sure you have a copy of the invoice from when you bought it for date verification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom