cmos / gpnv checksum bad error

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharry

Beta member
hi guys...i'm having computer problems. It started with my mouse lagging when I would click on stuff. It would freeze up for a few seconds when I tried to click on stuff or just freeze completely but only my keyboard worked. I even bought a new mouse but it still does the same problems. My computer recently just started restarting by itself. I get this error message saying Cmos / gpnv checksum bad error and it would startup sometimes now after i get the cmos error my computer just freezes with black and white lines. My computer runs at 34/35 C? when I was looking at it through bios.

I have reflashed bios and even installed a new battery. I think I got this error message one day saying on my startup screen when it usually says 512 nvram update ok i got update failed. So I moved my ram into a new spot and it started to startup at least sometimes but I still got some error messages. Could my ram be the reason why my computer keeps shutting on and off and why my mouse is lagging? Any suggestions or help? I can clear some stuff up since I kinda just typed it fast. Thanks

Motherboard: Gigabyte 7vrxp
Amd 1700 XP

If you've got more then one stick of ram I'd say pull all of them out but one, and see if you still have the problem. if so pull that one out and put in a different one. Try all the sticks in that slot, if you still have the same problem, repeat the process in the next slot. You should start in the number one slot too, work down from there. On the other hand if only one of the sticks manifests this error, toss it and buy a new one. If it happens with each sticks in each slot, might be a bad board. Another thing to do is run a mem test. This is the frist one I found on google

Memtest86+
http://www.memtest.org/
Download:
http://www.memtest.org/download/1.55.1/memtest86+-1.55.1.floppy.zip

thanks. I only have 1 stick of 512 ddr ram thats been in there for 3 yrs and been working fine. i'll have to pull the ram out of my brother's computer to test if it works or not. Can ram be corrupted at anytime even after 3 yrs?

Ya, it's like anything else, it can wear out over time. that'd be my first guess. try running that mem test too, though I don't know how reliable they are, itÂ’s worth a shot. Abnormalities in power some times can have an adverse affect on components too. Any brown outs, spikes, or surges in your power lately??? Is your computer on a surge suppressor? You should also try the stick in the other mem slots on the mobo.

okay i don't think its my memory...which i guess its my motherboard then? Hard to believe that my motherboard would cause these problems such as my mouse getting freezing and hiccuping but i guess i'll buy a new mobo and test it out thanks

well something to try for the mouse is reinstalling the mouse driver. but i'd defiantly try different memory before i bought a new mobo. try it in another system of vice versa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom