Need Help Installing Win Xp Using The Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

phosho510

Daemon Poster
alright i setted the first boot to cd-rom, loads windows xp setup, create a big partion (60gb) format that partition, install setup files on partition, reboots computer, and operating system could not load? what did i do wrong?

my harddrive is Maxtor 60gb.

Make sure the drive is set to master or cable select and make sure that you are plugged into proper connector on the IDE cable.

Also check the jumpers, make sure it is set to master although I'm not sure that it matters if you only have one HDD, but like I said, I'm not too sure, always check though.

Is the drive in the boot order? If it is, try making it the first and only boot device and see if that works.

phosho510 said:
yea the drive is set to master, i know the drive works because it had linux on it.

More than likely you have a corrupt boot.ini since Linux was previously installed on that drive. Even after a format the boot sector can remain unchanged thus giving you a corrupt MBR when Windows tries to load the OS.

Use your XP cd to get into recovery console and use the /fixmbr command to repair your master boot record.

Have a look at these articles.

Fix Master Boot Record.

XP recovery console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom