XP File Sharing problems and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
I want to share a folder in My Documents over a network. I have done so via the properties dialog (with simple filesharing). Unfortunatly, my other computer can read the contents of folders, but has no permissions for the files (no read, execute, write, it can't even copy), it can only see them. How do I fix this. Additionally, how to change the privacy of my documents folder (I am the only person using the machine so having any of my files "private" would only be troublesome)?

And I have many more questions of windows file sharing:
1.)how does it get the list of computers in the workgroup?
2.)how can I manually add or remove hosts from the workgroup list (right now I have a "ghost" of my laptop's old netowrk name)
3.)Why did my XP Home laptop not find MSHOME after running the network wizard? Why did rebooting once not fix the problem but rebooting twice did? Why did that laptop see the other comps in the workgroup, but not itself (no firewall on it at that time, no other comps could see it either)? Why did waiting for 5ish minutes fix the problem
4.)When I cahnged the netowkr name, why does the old one still show up on all machines? And why did one machine seem to find (not just continue to detect, but actually find for the first time) the old name after it had been changed?
5.)In normal filesharing, how do I create a user that does not show up on my login menu and does not have a folder in "documents and settings"? In short how do I create a user that is only there to represent a login and set of permissions?

Whew. Lots of questions. Lastly, is there a good site that lists a complete overview of all processes and procedures related to windows file and printer sharing, both "simple" and otherwise?

I actually read that before, and while it details file permissions and handling, it does not appear to answer my other questions. Good link tho.

XP Pro SP2. I have solved the problem of acsess to My Documents (denied to non-admin/owner) by not using My Documents. And I turned off Simple File Sharing and am using the standard one (I like it much better). But I am having a problem. I have two users accounts set up called Read and Write (you can guess what permissions I give each one on network folders). But Windows, once you have logged into a remote host as a certain user, it will not log you out. How does one do log out of remote computers in Win File Sharing. Also, I want to make Read and Write quasi-real users, without any folder in Documents and Settings, without an entry on the Welcome screen, just as shells to represent permissions. How do I do this, or is there a way to simply password protect shared folders like there is on Win98?

I think if you add the users through Computer Management mmc and maybe take them out of the user group they woun't show up in your log on screen, I'm gun'a test that. Then add each user to the folder(s) permissions and then give them specific read of write rights

ya, if you remove them from all groups, they wonÂ’t show up on your login screen. then all you need to do is go to the folder(s) your sharing and add the users to it and set their rights levels.
lemme know how it works

:)
go to run and put in
compmgmt.msc

that brings up the Computer Management console, and all the user info is in there under [System Tools] then [Local Users and Groups]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom