Problem with advice given and my mobo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirtbird

Baseband Member
Yesterday I got my Alienware computer, prior to me purchasing it I asked a question on this forum...do all pcie mobos also come with agp slots? Only 2 people replied but they both said yes. I also asked a Alienware tech guy he said it does. So when I open up my computer yesterday to put in my graphics card it only came with one pcie and 2 pci slots. So my question is there some type of connector I could buy or something that I could slide into my pci slot to make a agp slot? Or is this just a unrealistic hope?

People told you that pci-e mobos come with AGP slots? They certaintly don't. There is no connector, no converter, no nothing. A motherboard is either pci-e or AGP. Case closed.
And somehow I doubt you got this from Alienware. If you really bought a computer from them it would already come with a video card in it. They don't sell you a computer that doesn't have everything in it.

Yeah I bought this from Alienware...It comes with an integrated video card GMA900...looks like $hit compared to the 9600XT I had on my old computer. I will have more money for a X800 XL in June...my birthday:(

Did you get the Alienware Bot?
I'm looking on their configuration page of that system right now. I don't think they could make it any more obvious. Under the video card area there are only PCI-express video cards available for choosing, that should be one clue right there that this is not AGP.

On the motherboard section it also says "Alienware® PCI Express Motherboard with Intel® 915 Chipset"
They clearly state you are getting pci-express and not anywhere does it mention AGP.

Also I searched all of your posts on this forum and checked all of the replys. I found not one person mention to you that pci-express motherboards can also have agp. And also despite you just saying so, YOU DID NOT ASK, "do all pcie mobos also come with agp slots?"
In fact I found people explicitly telling you that you need to have a pci-express motherboard to use a pci-express graphics card.
Here is what someone said

"BUT, as I said, make sure that you have PCI-Express slots before you buy an X800 XL. Its not an AGP card."-dhw200

You also stated, "Ok, thanks alot for replys everyone, i will be getting the X800 XL. And yeah i do have pci-e slot, im getting a new comp in a few weeks. Thanks for your concern."

No where do I find any mention that you expect the pci-express motherboard to take an agp card and no one told you that.

You also plainly stated that you would be purchasing an x800 xl PCI-E card to go with your new computer. So obviously we assumed that this would work since it is a pci-e card. You told no one that you intended on keeping your 9600 xt AGP card to use in your new pci-e motherboard.

So, good try, but you can't fool me that easily. No one here lied to you. You are the only one lieing.

I was planning on using my 9600XT card until June...my birthday when I can buy a new card. I thought I asked on this forum about the agp thing but I guess I didnt; however I called Alienware personally and was ASSURED by technical support people and they said that ALL pcie mobos come with one PCI one AGP and one PCIE.

I got the Alienware 3500 I did think about they only offering pcie cards but I claaed ALienware up and asked them.

EDIT: I guess I asked on one of my many other forums I go to

dale5605 said:
Also I searched all of your posts on this forum and checked all of the replys. I found not one person mention to you that pci-express motherboards can also have agp. And also despite you just saying so, YOU DID NOT ASK, "do all pcie mobos also come with agp slots?"
In fact I found people explicitly telling you that you need to have a pci-express motherboard to use a pci-express graphics card.
Here is what someone said

"BUT, as I said, make sure that you have PCI-Express slots before you buy an X800 XL. Its not an AGP card."-dhw200

You also stated, "Ok, thanks alot for replys everyone, i will be getting the X800 XL. And yeah i do have pci-e slot, im getting a new comp in a few weeks. Thanks for your concern."

No where do I find any mention that you expect the pci-express motherboard to take an agp card and no one told you that.

You also plainly stated that you would be purchasing an x800 xl PCI-E card to go with your new computer. So obviously we assumed that this would work since it is a pci-e card. You told no one that you intended on keeping your 9600 xt AGP card to use in your new pci-e motherboard.

So, good try, but you can't fool me that easily. No one here lied to you. You are the only one lieing.

Was there really any need to be quiet so rude about it ?

Who care's if the person is lieing, it is them that has to live their life, so let them go around doing what they want.

I`m not condoning what has been said/done, just think the situation could have been handled better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom