Page File Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neglito

Baseband Member
Hey my page file usage history is always high in the 300 and sometimes goes to 500. What is it? I have a athlon xp 1800+ with an asus motherboard. Do I really need it? What happens if i remove it? Is it reccommended if i take it off? Thanks.

u can remove it...it just a log file...when u restart the OS or ur program it will appear...but dont worry

Oh alright thanks. How do you remove it? I tried going to System->Advance->Performance->Settings->Advanced->Virtual Memory->Change and i clicked the 'No Page Filing' radio button, it told me to reboot, i did and it was stil there when i hiot ctrl alt del and i saw the PF usage keep increasing.

Why do you want to disable system paging file? Even with the huge amounts of RAM many of us have today Windows still will find a way to need virtual RAM. You could run into some serious performance decreases by disableing it.

Have a look at this article.

Windows XP Page File.

Alright, if i shouldnt remove it then is there any other thing i can do like possibly tweak it so its not so high? Thanks.

Let's start with how much physical RAM you have installed now? Also, how big is your hard drive? The general rule is to set the paging file 1.5 times the physical RAM.

Haha 500MB, my page file is currently at 1.65GB. Anyway if it's looking big then you probably just have lots of programs running in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom