New processor 3200 or 3500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hewhohasissues

In Runtime
I'm buying components for my first built PC and dunno which processor to get... It's going to be used to serious gaming and have a few questions regarding which to CPU to get.

1/ What's the difference between Newcastle and Winchester models?
2/ Is the AMD heatsink any good for overclocking?
3/ How far could you roughly overclock a 3200 or 3500 using fan cooling or using the AMD heatsink thingy.

1) Winchester use smaller technology, (90nm opposed to 130 of the newcastles) which will mean that the processor will run cooler, you can't get a 3200 newcastle.

2) It is alright for overclocking, when I had stock my cpu ran at 40*C idle and 52*C load. If you really want to overcklock far get a aftermarket one, thermaltake xp120 is the best, closly followed by the Zalman 7700 cu one.

3) A 3200 could get to 2.6ghz quite easily with the right motherboard, heatsink, ram.

I've got everything except a CPU:

Evga 6800gt
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR
Corsair 1GB DDR TwinX (2x512MB)

So which should I get 3200, 3500. Newcastle or Winchester?

3500 would be slightly faster and its what im getting for now :)

im not going to say future proof (whoops!) as we've been told not to in another thread lol

but it depends on your budget ;)

definetly get the winchester over newcastle. if all you do is game, there isn't much of a point in getting a 3500. get a 3200 and you'll be just fine.

hewhohasissues said:
Would an OC'd 3500 be alot faster than a OC'd 3200? Or would an OC'd 3200 do a great job at gaming?

A non-OC'd 3200 would do an AMAZING job at gaming. Don't worry about OC'ing, with a CPU that fast there is no need to. You wouldn't see that much of a difference in gaming anyway because games are becoming more and more GPU dependent as opposed to CPU dependent.

Worry about OC'ing as you can notice a speed difference, so get a 3200+ whinchester and OC it to fx-55 speeds (without 1 meg of l2 cache though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom