Status
Not open for further replies.

gill501

Baseband Member
I could do with some advice about buying a new PC. It is going to be used for:

A bit of work at home, spreadsheets, letters, presentations etc
A little downloading for my MP3 player
A little online gaming
Surfing internet (would like pages to load quickly etc)
Uploading digital photos and printing out (already purchased photo printer)
Burning & playing CD/DVD's

What processor is best, what memory would I need etc?
I am looking into possibly buying online from somewhere such as Dell, is this recommended? Want to buy the best available for the price, but don't need all the fancy extras like wireless network facilities etc.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.Thx

We need to know more about the online gaming, what games, games like HL2 or games like some flash games.

We also need to know the price you want to spend...

We also need to know if you need a monitor and speakers

And last but not least, We REALLY dont recomend getting a large prebuilt PC like DELL. DELL is HELL and a complete ripoff. You should get comfortable building your own PC (it isnt that hard) or get a local vendor to build your PC.

any processor you could buy today new could will fit your needs (depending on what you meant by gaming)

depending on what processor you get, then on the motherboard we can tell you what ram you want.

The best price:performance is building your self. Do not consider thinking of dell (cringes, cheap parts and sells them way too much.)

For parts to build yourself, I have got all my stuff from www.overclockers.co.uk

gill501, If you are in need of great UK online stores just ask and I'll give you a list.

I would recommend something with a 3.0 Ghz+ processor(Intel), or similar AMD, just because it will last you longer before becoming outdated. It will also take care of all your posted needs.
I have had some good luck with Dell myself. Doesn't sound like you need a gaming powerhouse.
Get at least 512 Mb Ram, 80+ Gig hard drive, decent graphics card (128 Mb or better), and a decent sound (intergrated or not) with nice speakers.

Thanks Guys.

By gaming I meant just like Yahoo games, literati, monopoly etc... nothing too serious lol
I have about £700 max to spend but want to get the best possible for that.
I would need a monitor and speaker, keyboard, mouse.. everything bascially except printer. I would prefer a flat screen monitor for space-saving.
I would need some basic software such as Works/Word/Office etc but dont need all the useless stuff I got with my last PC (but that was 6 yrs ago, and from Dixons so i'm sure thigs have changed) !!

Ok so if you don't recommend Dell, then who else is there. I couldn't build my own as I don't have the time or the right knowledge. If someone could post a list of online stores that would be great.. thanks.

OcUK Value 1715 17" LCD Monitor (MO-000-OK)
£129.95 £129.95
"Primo Vantage" Intel Pentium IV 'Prescott' 3.0GHz (800FSB) Hyper Threading System (FS-002-OK)
Operating System - Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition - OEM (OS-001-MS) 1
. 1
£332.95 £332.95
Subtotal £462.90
Shipping (Amtrak Next Day (Mon-Fri) - UK Mainland) £16.25
VAT £83.86
Total £563.01

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/full_systems.html#aFS_2d002_2dOK

All it needs is the psu taken out hit to pieces, and then thrown in the bin, put in your own one, and possible a graphics card put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom