Safe mode and boot disk not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave12345

Beta member
Yesterday my computer refused to boot. It got as far as the bit where it asks me which operating system to load: "Windows XP" or "Windows XP Recovery Console". Whichever one I select, the screen goes blank a few seconds after and then the computer restarts.

I tried going into safe mode but even that doesn't work. It runs through a list of commands, reaches one called "drivers/mup.sys" and freezes for several seconds, then restarts.

Another time I got an error message that the drive wasn't mountable.

After all that, I tried to reboot my computer but the recovery disk got halfway through the procedure and then simply crashed. I downloaded the files for a boot disk from the internet yet when I tried to run it, I got an error message that a "non-system disk was inserted. Remove and strike a key when ready."

Anyone know why this might be happening? I haven't installed any new software or hardware recently nor changed any of the settings on my computer.

(This is from my second computer as it happens. I tried removing the hard drive from my first computer and putting it in this one as the slave but just got an error message that the drive couldn't be read.)

I've now managed to create a boot disk but when I run it I get an error message that "system 32\hal.dll" can't be found and I'm advised to reinstall it.

I've found "hall.dll" on my other computer and copied it to a floppy disk but I've no way of transferring it onto the computer with the problems. If I try switching the computer on with the disk in the drive, it just tells me there is a non-system disk in the drive and to remove it and strike a key.

Turn the pc on, go into bios put cd drive as first boot, put windows in the disk drive, and reboot, do a format or recovery (if you got important stuff on the pc)

No joy.

The recovery console option now brings me to a screen which tells me to type "EXIT" to restart the computer. I do that and the computer restarts and the whole process starts over again but doesn't actually boot into Windows.

If I try to format, I get a worrying error message saying that I don't have Windows installed on my computer! The computer's 1 1/2 old and came with XP pre-installed. I've got an XP upgrade disc from a previous computer but this doesn't work either.

Any suggestions as to how to get the thing to boot? Or, if it's not going to boot at all, how do I copy the files I have from the drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom