Dual Channel in ZNF-150?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mousepad

In Runtime
I've noticed that ever since my upgrade to the Chaintech ZNF-150 + AMD 64 3400+ that I have been booting up slower. I noticed this after installing Norton as well. As before it would boot up (seriously) in 10 seconds. BUT when I had my AMD 2600+ with an Epox 8RDA+ That had Norton as well and it booted up faster. Is this because of the dual channel? Because I know my Epox had it, but I don't see anywhere in my manual that the ZNF-150 has dual channel. I'm kind of annoyed that my system sometimes runs slower and boots up slower than I remember before the upgrade. I just have a feeling it's because the dual channel thing isn't supported or something wierd about Norton. Oh and I have used the SiSoftware and tested my cpu and it is running correctly.. Here is a pic, my cpu is a Newcastle

smack.jpg

I disabled Norton and I noticed that everything runs faster than lightning. How can Norton stoop my performace so much. I mean now it runs a lot faster as if I actually had an upgrade. Much faster before the upgrade. Wierd to think Norton affects this computer a lot more than it did before. I have yet to try Norton disabled when I boot though.

Well if you are saying that the mobo you upgraded to doesnt support dual chanel, and you were running dual channel on the old one, then i would say thats the problem. If you can still return it, i'd say get a mobo that supports dual chanel. Take a look at the ABIT mobos, theyre nice.

Are you guys stumped or lazy? ;p
little bit from column A, little bit from column B :p

In my experience norton is a system hog, perhaps you have some setting different now or something along those lines.

It's a socket 754 CPU and board though dude, Socket 754 doesn't support dual channel at all.

Well if you are saying that the mobo you upgraded to doesnt support dual chanel, and you were running dual channel on the old one, then i would say thats the problemc
Not quite, dual channel doesn't make THAT kind of performance difference dude, it's minimal at best.

If you can still return it, i'd say get a mobo that supports dual chanel. Take a look at the ABIT mobos, theyre nice.
He'd need a socket 939 board and new CPU to do that ;)

Wow, that's rediculous that a socket 754 wouldn't support dual channel. What a waste. Oh well, atleast I can replace it once I get my tax return money. :) Too bad most of the boards Iwant don't support AGP. How dumb to jump to pci-e so soon.

Ok, so I was looking at some motherboards. I picked out an Asus first because they are one of the best mobo's out.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-510&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-230&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-263&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-468&depa=1

What do you think? I know there are some other brands out, but these are the ones I have mainly heard about.

why would he need a socket 939 to do that?
Because as I said, 754 doesn't support dual channel and he can't exactly get a 'board that supports dual channel' without getting a new socket 939 board which would also require a new CPU.

Wow, that's rediculous that a socket 754 wouldn't support dual channel.
It's one of those things you're supposed to research before buying a new mobo and CPU ;)

When the new AMD64's were first coming out this was always discussed about how it'd generally be better just to pay a little more and go and 939

I picked out an Asus first because they are one of the best mobo's out.
They aren't the best by far man. Their quality has gone straight down hill in recent years.

Out of those you listed I'd go with MSI. I've built an AMD64 for someone before and suggested that board to them. It was an awesome board with a good amount of options in the BIOS too if you ever care to OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom