do I need a new power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdawg

Daemon Poster
Here is what I got.

P4 3.0 GHz, 1024 MB PC 3200 (4 modules), 160 gig HD, DVD rom, DVD RW, Audigy 2 ZS, and the cheapo Radeon X 300 PCI express vid card.

I do basic stuff plus play far cry. Believe it or not, far cry was playing on medium settings w/o lag when I had 512, I upgraded to 1 gig and now I'm starting to think I want a better vid card too.

I'm going to wait for prices to go down on the Geforce 6600GT vid card, but when I get that is a 300 watt power supply going to be enough?

one thing to consider is I use an LCD monitor, it only consumes 40 watts for normal operation, compared to a lot of people who use CRT's which normally takes up 110 watts.

i dont think so. If your system begins to have problems though, spend around $40 for a decent PSU.

any definite signs in particular to look for to know when you need a stronger power supply?

yeah it tends to go *BANG!**SIZZLE SIZZLE* *SMOKE POURS OUT* oh dear.

At least you havent had a psu go while your head was in the case at the time...kinda feels worse.

one thing to consider is I use an LCD monitor, it only consumes 40 watts for normal operation, compared to a lot of people who use CRT's which normally takes up 110 watts.
I thought that monitors get their power from a wall socket and not the video card.

Macdawg, I would go for about a 400W PSU for a system like that.

any definite signs in particular to look for to know when you need a stronger power supply?

Other than it smoking, fizzling, etc, you might get random reboots.

macdawg said:

Monitors use power from the walls

You defiantly need a new PS if you want to ever have a 6600GT. I recomend a thermaltake td-420AD

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to get a new power supply when I get a video card then.

At least you havent had a psu go while your head was in the case at the time...kinda feels worse.

I'm guessing that happened to you? But anyways, get a 400W PSU at least, make sure its 12v......If your looking to get a GREAT psu, antec and thermaltake are good, but if your looking for cheaper ones, aspire makes decent psus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom