Grounding and the Like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gum

Baseband Member
Soon I plan to install a new video card in my computer. The last time I even opened my computer was when I installed more RAM. Given that I did install the RAM, I had gained some experience about the grounding issue. However, I need a brain refresher and I have a few questions.

1. I read that you need to touch your case before touching the chips to ground yourself. Last time, I touched it a lot, before a touched ANYTHING. However, can I simply hold on to it the entire time and then be totally static free for sure? Or do I need to touch and let go for it to work?

2. Last time I think I recall unplugging the computer and then pressing the power button one last time to rid it of any spare electricity. Is this necessary?

3. Carpet.... Last time I did work on carpet, but as I said, I constantly grounded myself. But today I read a guide saying that you should not work on carpet due to the static electricity that it can produce. It would be very inconvenient for me to find a location that is not carpet and cart this thing there, do you think I can wing it again? Thanks!

See I always work on carpet. I'm in one of my PC's cases basically every day doin something or other. I always touch the PC case once before I start and again only if I move around on the carpet a lot. Never had any problems with static affecting any component.

I would just make sure the PC's power cord is out of the computer (or at least the switch is off to the power supply). No real need to push the power button unless that makes you feel more secure :)

Just spend a couple bucks and get an anti-static wristband, it'll allow you to work in your computer without anything to worry about.

i built my entire computer on carpet and i didnt even know you were supposed to ground yourself nothing got hurt so i guess im a lucky one ive heard of people who've killed their processor that way

I work on the carpet too, no other choice really, the comp is down there and yeah cords won't reach up to the desk....just don't wear socks on the carpet, touch the case, and don't shuffle your feet around a lot on the carpet. Generally I lean on my case while working on it, so yeah I've never had a problem with static discharge.

Nubius said:
just don't wear socks on the carpet

LOL i was going to say the same thing,Like everyone here say's just touch your case while working on it and there shouldn't be any problem,I just worked on the carpet yesterday and i had no prob's.

And ALSO, avoid using magnetic screwdrivers, one little slip up and you'll be kicking yourself.

Ok once again thank you guys so much! You've been such a help the past few days...

Will I know whether or not my screwdriver is magnetic? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom