Overclocking my future CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

brylax23

In Runtime
im ordering my cpu this weekend..AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester..i was wondering with a zalman 7000 cu how far do you think i could get it OC'ed to...and how do you use thermal paste? and would that be a smart thing to pick up

You want thermal paste, Arctic Silver 5, specifically.
I expect you could get to 2.5 or 2.6ghz. Or further depending on how crazy you want to get.
You get some 90% at least isopropyl alcohol and clean off the part of the heatsink that contacts the processor and the top of the processor heatshield. After you clean them off good put a small dab of the compound on the CPU. About the size of a large grain of rice, or a BB. Then put a little plastic around your finger and spread it around a bit on the top of the processor.
Then take a credit card and go across it a few times in a wiping motion to smooth out the compound. The compound does not have to spread all the way to the edges, and you don't want to much or extra will squeeze out the side.
After that press the heatsink onto the processor and twist it just slightly to each side. Then screw in the heatsink and you're done.

After that I would recommend that you run prime 95, small FFT's during the day to burn the processor in, and then during the night while you are asleep have the computer turned off. Keep this up for a few weeks to help break in the thermal compound through alternating periods of burning-in and rest.

brylax23, it go's beyond your heatsink. My friend got that zalman, and his temps barely droped. Because he has no cooling system. So the heatsink works alone. If you have a moderate cooling system, i would think 2.6ghz tops.

wont you void your warranty* on the cpu if you put* the thermal paste on it? cant spell tonight

No, thermal paste won't void the warranty. When you overclock your processor, that's what will void the warranty.

brylax23 said:
wont you void your warranty* on the cpu if you put* the thermal paste on it? cant spell tonight

Dude you have to use some type of thermal grease or a thermal pad,Without it you will fry your cpu within a minute :eek: :amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom