Not all it's cracked up to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
Today I went to Best Buy and got a PNY GeForce 6600GT, AGP version. Tomorrow, I'm going to take it back. It's weird, but the 6600GT wasn't all I thought it would be. I'm upgrading from a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64 MB card, so I thought the improvement would be huge. I mean granted, the game looked nice and stuff, but it wasn't a big enough difference to justify $200 bucks. I guess this is a just a warning to those of you who are considering buying it. Make sure that you're a hardcore enough gamer, for one, and two that it will be a huge difference. If I was into gaming enough, I would probably recommend making the jump to the 6800GT, as the difference will be more noticeable. I can't wait to get back to my trusty Ti 4200 :)

There's no way that a Geforce4 Ti 64mb version would even come close to comparing to the 6600GT. What did you run to come to this conclusion?

My best guess is you're still playing older games so the difference isn't noticable, or you haven't tried fiddling with AA/AF or vsync.

I was playing 'Call of Duty', and with the Ti 4200 I can run the game on 1280x1024 with everything on medium-high, not quite high, and get like 70-90 FPS. With the 6600GT, granted everything was turned all the way up with 4xAA and 8xAF, but the difference wasn't as great as I thought it would be. It was somewhat disappointing.

As far as I'm aware COD is not a very high demanding game. FPS are going to cap, the more FPS you have to start with the sooner that's gonna happen.

macdude425 said:
After your infamous thread about Best Buy, I'm kinda surprised you went back.

Hahaha, me too. I go because I know they're not going to trick me into buying something ridiculous.

gaara said:
As far as I'm aware COD is not a very high demanding game. FPS are going to cap, the more FPS you have to start with the sooner that's gonna happen.

That's true, but I thought I would see a big difference with 4xAA and 8xAF with everything maxed out. Maybe I should try on 'Doom 3' or 'Far Cry' or something.

yes Try doom 3 & farcry! then you may change your mind, wats ur system specs?

CPU- AMD Athlon XP 2500+
RAM- 512 MB Corsair XMS
Motherboard- Asus A7N8X-X
Hard Drive- Western Digital 80 GB
Video Card- 6600 GT or Ti 4200 (obviously)

Oh well, I'm sure I could find a better way to put the money to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom