2x 6600GT (SLI) or 1x 6800GT (Normal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I was suggesting you get a single PCI-E system. Not an SLI or AGP.
Most of the future cards that will come out will be compatible with a single PCI-E slot, you don't need SLI.

Are you saying that the future cards will be compatible with SLI and PCI-E PCs? If so since im an nVidia fan I might as well stick with the gt for now :bald:

I would recommend just ditching the x850XT and the 6800GT options all together, both are clever marketing strategies which fool consumers into dishing out far more money for a limited performance gain.

The x800XT or 6800GT are my choices, it's really comes down to preference. I would personally suggest the 6800GT as it performs much better than the x800XT in OpenGL and just slightly behind it in DirectX. The only real advantage of the x800XT is that it'll most likely handle more AA than the 6800GT.

AGP and PCI-E isn't a large deciding factor, both will offer the same peformance and it comes down to personal preference.

OK as I keep saying the SLI system is £1730

With just one graphics card in PCI express it is £1699 - surely it is worth the £31 for another gfx card??!!

I don't know why its that price difference that is what I have been quoted - it is an older system maybe they just don't update their prices :rolleyes:

Z3ph you're making it sound like a whole other graphics card would only cost £31, theres no way this can happen. Two 6800GT's is gonna be almost $800 compared to spend $400 on one single card whether it be X800XT or the 6800GT.

Personally I'd say drop the SLI unless you just REALLY want to have it or something because as it is a 6800GT especially overclocked can handle any of todays games and will still be around for a while to come.

AGP or PCI-E isn't THAT important because if you decide to keep your system for more than a year, then you'll be upgrading anyway and will probably want a new mobo and graphics card then...OR you can assume you'll use the same mobo a while from now and just go ahead and get PCI-E.

Either way like gaara said, X800XT or 6800GT and just choose whichever you like meaning ATI or Nvidia, both will perform great.

SLI is still rather buggy, the driver support is 'EHhhhh' to say the least, and not every game supports it, so right now it's future seems kind of blurry

That IS what I'm saying. The company is a PC shop locally and I emailed them for quotes on specs and that is what they quoted me.

That makes absolutely no sense unless they don't realize they are screwing themselves over, or they are trying to make you think that one card is only a little bit cheaper and trying to screw you over.

There's no way two 6800GT's would only be £31 than buying 1 6800GT...it's just....economically impossible :confused:

I smell something weird going on but, ehh whatever, don't know what to tell you

Well here is a copy of the quotes they gave me:

SLI System

- Modded Neon Extreme Case (With High Quality Aftermarket PSU and CPU Heatsing (550w)
- Motherboard Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe (Skt 939)
- Processor & Fan AMD 64-Bit 3500+ (Skt 939)
- Memory 1024Mb DDR400 PC3200 DUAL CHANNEL
- Hard Disk Drive 160Gb Serial ATA 150
- Second Hard Disk Drive 160Gb Serial ATA 150
- Floppy Disk Drive Floppy Disk Drive
- CD Device 16x +/- DVD-RW Dual Layer
- Second CD Device 52x32x52 CD-RW
- Graphics Card GeForce 6800GT 256Mb DDR + DVI/TV
- Second Graphics Card (SLI) GeForce 6800GT 256Mb DDR
- Sound Card SoundBlaster 7.1 Live 24-Bit
- Keyboard & Mouse Logitech Wireless MultiMedia Kb & Opt Ms (Blk/Svr)
- Speakers Creative SBS560 5.1 Set
- Monitor 17" Benq 8ms
- Operating System Win XP Professional
- Warranty 1st Yr Collect/Return & 3 Yrs Labour Only
- Additional Software No Additional Software Required

£1730.00

AGP System
- Modded Neon Extreme Case (With High Quality Aftermarket PSU and CPU Heatsing (550w)
- Motherboard Asus A8V Deluxe (AMD 64-Bit 939)
- PSU Upgrades 525W Hiper Low Noise PSU (23dB)
- Processor & Fan AMD 64-Bit 3500+ (Skt 939)
- Memory 1024Mb DDR400 PC3200 DUAL CHANNEL
- Hard Disk Drive 160Gb Serial ATA 150
- Floppy Disk Drive Floppy Disk Drive
- CD Device 16x +/- DVD-RW Dual Layer
- Second CD Device 52x32x52 CD-RW
- Graphics Card GeForce 6800GT 256Mb DDR + DVI/TV
- Sound Card SoundBlaster 7.1 Live 24-Bit
- Keyboard & Mouse Logitech Wireless MultiMedia Kb & Opt Ms (Blk/Svr)
- Speakers Creative SBS560 5.1 Set
- Monitor 17" Benq 8ms
- Operating System Win XP Professional
- Warranty 1st Yr Collect/Return & 3 Yrs Labour Only

I think what they are doing is keeping AGP prices high and trying to screw more money out of less computer literate people :( but thats the quotes anyhow :)

If you are getting one of those two get the sli system, you are not going to miss £31 compared to the £1700 for the system - and you will know that you are not being ripped off for the agp system.

Thats what i intend to do - its just a shame even the small companies who usually have a reputation as being good rip off people too :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom