Ongoing 6600GT problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace No-Money

In Runtime
I am beginning to get very fed up with Nvidia. I first got rid of my reliable 9800pro to buy a piece of crap XFX 6600GT card. I then couldnt play any direct3D games or benchmark at all.

I decided to get rid of it and buy a brand new Leadtek 6600GT.

I completely reinbstalled windows with the leadtek card. I still cannot play any direct X 9 games and my benchmarking programs abort with a video memory error!

How could reformatting help me anymore than reinstalling all the drivers and windows operating system? I guess, Reformatting is my last chance with NVIDIA/GEFORCE! Do you think reformatting could help solve my problems?

What about my operating system? Is windows 98SE too old for the 6600GT's? If it is than I want to buy windows 2000 and install that.

I have been using directX 9.0c and drivers 71.84

If NVIDIA fails in the end than I will find a nice 256mb Radeon 9800pro instead.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
I used driver cleaner, updated directX and got latest drivers from NVIDIA website! What else is there!?!? Will windows 2000 fix my problems, if it will then I will invest in windows 2000.

I'm telling you dude, even with those driver cleaners that ATI/NVidia drivers once going to another card can be an absolute beeeotch.

Need to back up your info, quit giving yourself so much heart aches and reformat :(

You can't just say "Im getting fed up with nvidia" when you aren't even going by the recommended procedure for swapping out cards. Yes I realize that driver cleaners are supposed to do it, but both ATI and nvidia make it really difficult to COMPLETELY clean out everything.

Also, I don't see why your graphics card would give you memory errors...you sure your RAM is fine? You sure you plugged the molex connector into the graphics card? You sure your PSU can handle it?

EDIT: I just looked at the requirements for my 6600GT and it says minimum Windows 98SE so that shouldn't be a prob

It'll kinnda suck if u come full circle and go back to ur old card man. Just do a clean install of everything and see - last resort mind you. But if nothing else works, what choice do u have?

well its not a big deal to upgarde your os Talk of illegal copies is strictly prohibited..you should know this

Surely u meant "Microsoft" makes enough money?? :p

EDIT: lol you editted your post - now mine makes no sense whatsover.. lol

Nubius I did a complete reinstall of windows 98 and there are no files containing the word "ATI" in them for sure.

Shouldn't the the complete reinstall have changed everything? I mean, nothing was installed on the system anymore, including any drivers.

i will reformatt, but how much more would that help me?

When I move the content of my half-life 2 game over to a second partition and reinstall the game after reformatting, will the game pickup where I left off or how do I do that? :rolleyes:

When I move the content of my half-life 2 game over to a second partition and reinstall the game after reformatting, will the game pickup where I left off or how do I do that?
Go into program files folder, and copy the entire HL2 directory into your partition. Then when it's formatted, drag the folder back to your program files. All resinstalling it does is put that folder there, so if you just copy it over, then put it back in there and make your own shortcut you're good to play.

Shouldn't the the complete reinstall have changed everything? I mean, nothing was installed on the system anymore, including any drivers.
Ok, so I'm assuming you went through and just did the 'reinstall windows' option where basically everything still remains on the drive instead of wiping it clean?

A reformat will help in that 1. your system could probably use it and 2. that just guarantees everything will be gone.

There's no way you'd get two 6600GT's and it's both of their faults, that's just ridiculous or a serious case of bad luck which could happen from any manufacturer.

Minimum specs does say Win98SE, so I don't see that being the problem here really.

I agree, a format is needed here.

Ive got an Albatron 6600GT, and its a damn SWEET card. Once you get that puppy pumping, you'll be pleased :)

what...

Whats with all the names before the 6600Gt? I have a Gigabyte 6600Gt... everyone seems to have a different name in front.. i dont get it... (haha, what a noob thing to post!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom