F1 to bootup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
derrmc said:
disable the hp screen in bios so you can see your boot screen.
then maybe you can see what's going on.

How do I disable the HP screen?

How do I check the halt on settings?

What is PXE in the bios?

KB3JUV said:
How do I disable the HP screen?

How do I check the halt on settings?

What is PXE in the bios?

I looked into all of this and I can't find the place to do any of it. This Phenoix Bios isn't very helpful.

I have the hard drive completely erased now. When I push F1 for it to boot up, it gives me a black DOS screen:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326)

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

The part in red pops up, then leaves, pops up then leaves, etc.

I looked into those errors. Most people say it is a bad cable, or the hard drive is incorrectly installed. Well this is a laptop and it hasn't been touched inside, so something must have went wrong.

Try replacing the mother board battery, without knowing what computer you have or system specs I am guessing that when pressing F1 you are loading system defaults in bios because the battery is dead and ain't keeping your bios info stored to cmos.

mlr said:
Try replacing the mother board battery, without knowing what computer you have or system specs I am guessing that when pressing F1 you are loading system defaults in bios because the battery is dead and ain't keeping your bios info stored to cmos.

It is a laptop. I don't want to open it up. That might be the problem though. What does everyone else think?

I'd say try and open it. Just be careful and you shouldn't have any problems.

I will talk with the guy about it. I will see if he just wants to send it back or he wants me to do it.

Do you think that the PXE error I mentioned earlier has to do with no operating system on the hard drive? Or does it have to do with my F1 problem?

Check your jumper settings on your drives. My sister's PC had similar problems, and that's what it turned out to be.

silence782 said:
Check your jumper settings on your drives. My sister's PC had similar problems, and that's what it turned out to be.

Well this is a laptop that hasn't been opened up. It was working fine so I don't think the jumper settings have changed.

Well I took the computer as far apart as I could. I never found a BIOS battery. I will just give it back to him to send to HP to get fixed. Working on laptops are no fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom