Desperately need help on a HP Pavilion ze1210

Status
Not open for further replies.

llama726

Beta member
Okay, I'm trying to improve my girlfriend's laptop, a HP Pavilion ze1210 (1.20 GHz AMD processor, 256 MB RAM but I'm adding another 256 MB chip) and I was wondering about the video card. Technically, it's a video chipset. It's the S3 Graphics TwisterK for HP, and it is not pretty. It shares 32 MB RAM off the machine at the maximum, but supports no 3D acceleration required for some software and has no support.

Here's my question(s). How do I add 3D acceleration to this notebook, or can I? Is there a chipset, updated driver, or ANY way to upgrade this performance or add 3D acceleration? I've googled for hours and have come up with no answers. It's so frustrating! I'd like to be able to add 3D acceleration for some value. If there's a driver or fix out there to allow for use of DirectX 9.0c, please point me to it. Thanks a lot guys.

You are substantially limited in what you can upgrade on a laptop. You can't upgrade a video card, or chipset, in a laptop. As you probably already lknow, the only things really upgradable in a laptop is the hard drive and the ram. Since it is a chipset, it is probably built into the motherboard. So in order to upgrade that, you would need a new mobo. By the time you get to that point, it 's just easier to buy a new laptop.

3d acceleration is in the hardware, not software. You could probably try to overclock it, but I would not advise it. Laptops get pretty hot as it is, you will probably fry it if you OC it. So, I would have to say you are SOL unless you get a new laptop.

Ok, I seem to have found a driver actually that allows it to use 3D acceleration... or at least be compatible with DirectX 9.0c. This seems to be a good fix. I reallocated the RAM share to 32 MB, rather than 16, and I am installing another 256 MB chip today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom