Need some advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

minimumturbulen

Solid State Member
hey guys,
new to the forum.. and i have a comp that i would like to upgrade the RAM and Video card on ..
specs:
P4 1300 MHz... 400 FSB
Gateway system :)-0)
128 MB RDRAM PC-800 (16bit)
32mb TNT2 Nvidia....
CDROM/CDRW drive
40 GB HDD
so on so forth..

until now ive used this comp for running programs and everyday stuff.. but i wanna game some (HL2 and Doom3, farcry too).. and i was wondering about these upgrades...

NVIDIA Gforce 5500, 256 (probly XFX or EVGA) or even 5700 LE
512 MB (2x256) RDRAM PC800
i think i have only a 4x AGP slot.. and im trying to work with about 300-400

Could anyone tell me what the best NVIDIA manufacturer (XFX?EVGA?) interms of cost:quality ratios

Should i Upgrade? what should i upgrade too? are my choices good enough to run these games.. just a temp. alternative (like next 6-9 months)?

ANY advice would be much appreciated.. thanks a lot guys
really appreciated
JJ

evga or leadtek - are you sure you couldn't afford to get a newer nvidia card and a newer processor? whats your budget like?

Could you post your computer's make and model number? Also post the serial number, as Gateway's support site requests it to look up the info.

Then we'll see what we can find...

wow.. you guys are fast..
thanks

uhh.. budget : $300-$400 and i have to admit im a noob to hardware.. and i havent ever really built anything :p so im afraid a new processor may not be compatible and if anyone could find me a better card around 65-100 dollars (even ATI) ill def. consider it...

and im not home right now but i can give you the model number for the system
Gateway E-4600
is it secure to put the serial no up?
thanks JJ

minimumturbulen said:
wow.. you guys are fast..
thanks

uhh.. budget : $300-$400 and i have to admit im a noob to hardware.. and i havent ever really built anything :p so im afraid a new processor may not be compatible and if anyone could find me a better card around 65-100 dollars (even ATI) ill def. consider it...

and im not home right now but i can give you the model number for the system
Gateway E-4600
is it secure to put the serial no up?
thanks JJ

OK ill look you up some stuff on newegg - bbs ;)

it depends how you feel about it - if you want you could pm one of us with the serial number :)

im going to go home and think about the serial stuff.. and thanks sooo much.. i was contemplating this situation in my head for awhile now..

Corsair Value Select Dual Kits 184 Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail

Item# N82E16820145477
Save to Buy Later

Remove Item
$58.67

$58.67

Processors

Intel Pentium 4 2.0A GHz 400MHz FSB, 512K Cache Processor - OEM

Item# N82E16819116132
Save to Buy Later

Remove Item
$125.00

$125.00

Video Cards

APOLLO nVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE Video Card, 128MB DDR, DVI/TV Out, PCI Model "APV-P5700LE 128M" -RETAIL
Item# N82E16814140041
Save to Buy Later

Remove Item
$89.00

$89.00

Product total: $272.67
Enter Promotion Code: Shipping & Handling: $ .00
FedEx International Economy - PR ONLY APO/FPO - Military ONLY FedEx Standard Overnight FedEx 2Day FedEx Express Saver Choose state AA AP AE ALASKA ALABAMA ARKANSAS ARIZONA CALIFORNIA COLORADO CONNECTICUT DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA DELAWARE FLORIDA GEORGIA HAWAII IOWA IDAHO ILLINOIS INDIANA KANSAS KENTUCKY LOUISIANA MASSACHUSETTS MARYLAND MAINE MICHIGAN MINNESOTA MISSOURI MISSISSIPPI MONTANA NORTH CAROLINA NORTH DAKOTA NEBRASKA NEW HAMPSHIRE NEW JERSEY NEW MEXICO NEVADA NEW YORK OHIO OKLAHOMA OREGON PENNSYLVANIA PUERTO RICO RHODE ISLAND SOUTH CAROLINA SOUTH DAKOTA TENNESSEE TEXAS UTAH VIRGINIA VERMONT WASHINGTON WISCONSIN WEST VIRGINIA WYOMING Total (Before tax): $272.67

Sorry, Turb. Without the serial number, all I can get is rather vagueinfo from a user's manual. No specs at all.

From Google I gathered that your mobo has 400FSB, so you would be really limited as far as CPU.

If your AGP port is 4X, don't sweat it. I have been told that 8X cards will work, but only at 4X speeds. Just don't blow a wad on something that can't perform better than an older, cheaper card.

Memory is definately the quickest and best upgrade for you (128 MB??? How do you run XP and any other program?). Buy what you can afford, and you won't be sorry.

i was dreading you would say that... yea.. 128 MB.. i can run XP and something else thats it
it starts to freeze up
psst... oh well .. thanks anyways guys..
ima wait for what Z3phyr has to say
JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom