Timings need tighter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
Ok well it looks like im losing my big machine so i gotta stick w/ what i got now and just make it better. OK so heres what im running now
AMD athlonXP 2600+ @ 2.3ghz
Corsair VlaueRAM pc3200 at 400mhz
GeforceFX 5600ultra 256mb
SB LIVE suround sound
80gig maxtor 5400RPM
Shuttle AN35 ultra400 NF2 ultra
cd/rw blah blah
anyways im running the ram at 2.6V righ tnow w/ timings at 2.5-3-3-5
how can i get them any higher w/out my mobo going crazy? BTW the ram voltage only goes to 2.7 i believe and im running my CPU at 1.7V

:D

Well you're pretty limited with only max 2.7v

If you could get it up at like 2.9v you might have a chance to tighten them up.

Other than that, the only way to do it would be to underclock the RAM to 333FSB that that CPU runs naturally but you say you have it at 2.3GHz so I'm assuming your board can lock the AGP/PCI bus and you've OC'd the FSB from 166 to 200?

yea it only goes to 2.7 but my agp/pci bus IS locked so im good there. and yes i have it at 2.3 so the ram is running 400mhz w/ fsb at 200mhz. its running pretty stable. but i just want higher timings. if you dont think i can get more out of it then ill jjst leave it.

of course you could always try going to 2.7v and seeing if they'll tighten, but chances are you'd need atleast 2.8

You could try like 2.5-3-2-7

or 2.5-2-3-7 see if those will work.

The cas latency and cycle time (the 2.5 and 7 in that scenario) effect stability, not so much bandwidth as the middle numbers do so it's ok to put the cycle time at 7 from 5, you won't lose performance.

And if course if the 2.5-3-2-7 works then try for 2.5-2-2-7 at 2.8v

i cant raise it to 2.8 it wont let me go any higher than 2.7 iono why. its just beng gay. but i got the timings at 2.5-3-3-5. i think if i raise the voltage i might get 2.5-2-2-5. that any good?

I know you can't go to 2.8 I'm saying that's atleast what you'd need IMO so in other words you really can't go any further.

.1 increase isn't that much and it generally takes the Samsung TCCD chips specifically to do those tight 2 timings, but mind you they are designed to not only do tight timings, but do it at low voltages too...so without you having those chips this is why I say you'd probably need atleast 2.8v which kind of puts you out of luck.

I'd try 2.5-3-2-7 at 2.7v and if that doesn't work I just don't think you'll be able to get your RAM any tighter, mind you even that wouldn't be a huge boost in performance or anything

heatspreaders aren't necessarily a good thing anyway.. depends on how they stick, but anyway, it's better than stock and that's what counts right?

If it's not stable then try 2.5-3-2-7 because like I said you will see NO bandwidth difference going from cas latency 2 to 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom